respitory promblem? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

respitory promblem?

so my rat easton, my bigger one, has definitely been sneezing a lot. andlike theyre just little achoo sneezes but its occuring a lot. is this an issue, should i look for something?

My Lovely Little Zoo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel, Bentley, Easton, Karma,Patches,Harley, Sara, Jose, Flippers<33
"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

it might be a respitory problem, but it could be also because of the bedding, what type do you use if u dont mind me asking.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

i use kaytee corn cob bedding

My Lovely Little Zoo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

If your rats are sneezing a lot, and they aren't new to you or to their cage/environment, you should take them to the vet as a precautionary measure. It's possible that they have a respiratory problem and might need antibiotics to treat it.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

should i try a new bedding?

My Lovely Little Zoo

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm not too familiar with corn cob bedding, so I couldn't say whether or not it's good for rats, but if it produces dust of any kind then I'd definitely switch. For rats, I highly recommend using polar fleece blankets, and then a litterbox for their potty area. I use Yesterday's News for the litter, and I use an assortment of blankies that I've made from fabric-store fleece. I go to JoAnn's when they have sales and buy some fleece, and it lasts quite a while! I switch out blankets/hammocks about every 2 days, and then do a load of rat laundry each week when I do my own laundry.

Fleece is good because it doesn't catch on their toenails easily, and it doesn't produce any dust. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run than buying litter that you'd throw away after each use.

ETA: I should also add that my boys prefer to have a bunch of smaller blankets as opposed to shelf lining made of fleece. They like to take the blankets and mold them into little nests in their sleeping areas, and are much happier with multiple small blankies. (I usually cut them into about 10" squares.)

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Last edited by breyer08; 04-11-2011 at 07:14 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Adolescent Pup

Do you have any pictures of your cage? I'm always interested in finding/learning new ideas that will help!

BTW Jetson, how did it turn out for your guys? Are they doing okay now?