Returned Adoptions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Unhappy Returned Adoptions

A lady that adopted 3 Hairless Males from me, e-mailed me and asked if I would consider comming to get them (she lives 2 hours from me) Soon after she adopted them she stared Chemo. While I generally have a no questions asked policy on the return of any rats adopted from me, this one really has me scratching my head.
She e-mailed me today and said that the boys have to go ASAP, that she needed to get rid of them and wanted to know if I wanted them back (1st I hate that term-to get rid of-) Anyways she told me that the Cancer Center told her that "because they smell and fumes and the fact that they walk in their own feces all day is bad for me" Now I hate to be a B, but she has 3 cats, a dog, and 2 tortoises.......but she can keep them??? What the heck????

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Weird. I could see understanding but the fact that she has 2 tortises, they must smell pretty bad too!

Maybe she just didn't feel as attached to them as she does her other pets. Thats a bummer, but at least she gave them back to you and not to someone who wouldn't take care of them.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I know that when my gramps when therw that he was told to watch the dog or other pets of the scratch them to be careful be cuase he wont heal and it could get infected but she can wear gloves and I assum she has a man or kids that can help her out.
I dont get it my self and I dont see why she cant keep them. Cats dig in litter and dogs will walk out side in their own poop and tuttles have salminela (hope I spelled that close) I know that the litter that cats use can cause some people when they get sratched that it gets infected but they catch mice and other critters that are sick, inside cats can catch a sick mouse and then sratch her.
I dont see why she has to get ride of them I for one think they are cleaner then a cat or dog they are alway grooming and hello you can litter train a rat so all she;d have to do is dump the litter pan and wear gloves to wash it out. I hear you and dont get it either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Rodentologist

To be honest, most medical center folks don't know a ton about rats to begin with, and what they do know is probably not all true. However, they do have a pretty good point -- rats do walk around in their pee and poo (even if litterbox trained -- I even sometimes break out from rat scratches when they walk on me) and when you're on chemo you have basically no immune system.

I'll give crap to a lot of people for abandoning their animals, but I do think someone in chemo has a "get out of jail free card".

Also, depending on the type of tortoises, they're probably not that bad. My friend has one and she puts her tortoise into the bathtub twice a day. It only poops in the water. So her tortoise can walk around the house and is not in it's own poo ever.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Chemo is pretty toxic stuff. Nah, I wouldn't hold that against her in the least. She's fighting for her life. Plus, it's more complex than just that rats walk in their own poo. They require a lot of attention for their size. She's going to be wiped out for energy. She could completely ignore her reptiles and they wouldn't care as long as they are clean and fed. She's not going to be allowed to touch the cat box while she's on chemo, and the dogs go outside. And who knows, she may end up finding homes for her other animals too before it's over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 02-19-2010 at 05:51 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I can see that she will be sick and whiped out but she dont live alone so her family can care for them. There is a old guy that I did a lot of work for this summer who went threw Kemo and he could not do a lot of stuff had to be careful not to catch cold and get hurt but he still went out fishing and hunting and he was just fine.
Although some pations that go on it I can see taking to it diffrently and depending on what type. But her tuttle can carry saminela. And if she cant touch the litter box then you can out a cat outside but not if they wer raised inside or a dog well depens on the type.
But I don think the lady that got the rats from tweedle is getting ride of her other pets I think its just the rats and truthfull I thnk that she got the rats as a I have rats and it wore off. Have you asked her to send you pictures? they could me sick them selves and she dont want to pay a vet to take them or hurt or they could have bit her becuse she dont something and is know scared. I would ask her to send you pictues but even if sick they may not look like it in a pic unless on their death bed. I never thought of that granted she may be taking kemo but she may have said that to get you to take sick rats back.

Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Rodentologist

Ok, Diamond, that is the sickest thing I've ever read. MAKE HER SEND pictures? Of herself on chemo, to "prove" that she is sick? I hope you never have to go through cancer with a loved one. I have, and it is terrible. And it's easy for you to sit around and say "her family can care for them". Her family is probably going to be caring for her. That's what we did for the last 2 weeks of my mom's life. We cared for her around the clock.

You don't know what's happening to the other animals, so I think you need to stop saying insulting things about someone's situation when you clearly have no idea what in the world you're talking about. For all you know, they're also trying to rehome the cats and dogs and turtles.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm not holding it against her, I'm just frustrated. Mostly because she told me in the same e-mail, that she was DX with Breast Cancer three weeks before adopting them, and two days after she got them she had a Double M...I really wish she'd told me this BEFORE I adopted out three rats to her, knowing she'd be going through Chemo. She's a really sweet lady, but I'm so frutrated. We haven't got a car right now, so I basicly have no way to go and get them, so they'll be going Lord Knows Where, and since she needs to be rid of them ASAP, they'll probaly go for food!
Chemo is nasty, I myself am a cancer survivor, so I can at least empathize with her on that aspect.

~W.C. Fields
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Rodentologist

She may not have known how chemo would affect her or they may have told her she was only getting radiation until they actually went in. It's a tough thing to deal with. My mom was determined that nothing would change, but about a month after she started she would have such bad weeks, where she just spent all day on the couch, nauseous and unable to get up.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
I'm not holding it against her, I'm just frustrated. Mostly because she told me in the same e-mail, that she was DX with Breast Cancer three weeks before adopting them, and two days after she got them she had a Double M...I really wish she'd told me this BEFORE I adopted out three rats to her, knowing she'd be going through Chemo. She's a really sweet lady, but I'm so frutrated. We haven't got a car right now, so I basicly have no way to go and get them, so they'll be going Lord Knows Where, and since she needs to be rid of them ASAP, they'll probaly go for food!
Chemo is nasty, I myself am a cancer survivor, so I can at least empathize with her on that aspect.

Bless her, obviously she wasn't thinking clearly when she got the little guys. How far away is she? Is there a way to do a rat train to bring them back home?

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond01 View Post
I can see that she will be sick and whiped out but she dont live alone so her family can care for them.
I don't think it's right to make assumptions like that. Her family is going through all of this with her, they will have enough on their plates.

Tweedle, I'm sorry this is happening. She made a poor decision in getting the rats in the first place but I'm glad she's at least trying to honor the agreement to return them instead of just handing them off to who knows where. I hope you can get them back.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

she may not have known she was going to have to go through chemo and even if she did it may have just sunk in how overwhelming it all is plus another cage to clean.

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I have had lots of family members that have had cancer some survie some RIP and all when threw the chemo. My aunt did and boy she got bad but still kept her cat and chi that she had. although when she passed we inhertied the cat and the dog was old and passed on while she was sick. My uncle was to emosinal to deal with any thing and thoguht the cat decertved better at the time becuase she was an in side cat. Some are more effected by it them others which I get and I understand But I am with tweedel on this she should have thought before hand. it could have been she knew she might not make it and really wanted rats and jumped on the rat train but know feels they will lack the attechen they need. As in she wanted to own and have rats before she passed incase the chemo and all didnt work.
I have never had it but have seen my family members and friends go threw it and seen my parents old dog with it and I makes me misertable know they are miserable. I would be fusterated as well not being able to get them to you or have some one drive them to you from her place.
granted she should have thought but dont blam your self or anything becuase you took all the steps to adopting the rats out and proably screened her well (and did you take them to her?) point is you did the best at finding them a home. But there are events and things that pop up that we dont think of and there are a lot of good cons out there.
I dont mean to be ignernt by saying this but are you shure she has cancer or is going threw chemo she could be play that card to have symaphy so you come get them becuase she dont want them any more. Granted she may tell you all the stuff she takes or is on but I can look up meds on line and what you take for diffrent things the side effects and from knowing peoples moods who I've been around when they had cancer and chemo to play it off enough. I dont think some one would do that but you as well as I know there are some sick people out there that are really good cons and some that are not so smart but act like they are.
I hope there is away for you to get them back I really do or some one to Help you go get them. Or a way for them to be brought to you even half way? I'm shure you know some one who love rats and you and is a really good friend that can take you.

Last edited by Diamond01; 02-19-2010 at 05:50 PM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well...the adopter hasn't e-mailed me back yet, but she's probably not feeling up to e-mailing anyone, so hopefully when she's feeling up to it she'll e-mail me back. I'd call her, but don't want to wake her if she's sleeping, or resting up. She did take her ad for the rats off of CL (posted a whole 30 seconds after she e-mailed me) but I'm going to assume her husband did that for her. She may have, but really I know how much energy it takes some days just to sit up. I am hoping we can work something out, a rodent rescue called Judge's Park in Pittsburgh said they may be able to help, for a donation, so that will help, both me, and the recsue.
As frustrated as I am, I'm going to send her some flowers. I briefly considered sending an edible boquet, but remember being on chemo, and even watching food commercials would make me sick to my stomache.
I'm thinking of something that comes with a stuffed animal!

I do hope that everything works out for her, she's really sweet, and her kids are really good kids, her husband I've never met, but hear he's nice.

~W.C. Fields
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Helen just e-mailed me this morning...she traded my rats for ferrets...I am not getting them back here.

This makes me really sad!

~W.C. Fields