Runt :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Runt :(

Well folks I dont think the runt is gonna make it, shes acting very weird. She wont stay in the nest she wants to lay outside she wont eat. she wont even go near her mother so I dont know what to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 AM
I am allergic to maths

If shes absolutley refusing to eat then it may be best for you to take over and hand-rear her
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry to hear that.
It might be ill and that may be why the mother is not taking it back in the nest or attempting to try and feed it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

The mom is trying to bring it in the nest and it walks right back out. What type of milk do I need to get?

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM
I am allergic to maths

I think puppy formulae is suitable if you can find some, if not you MIGHT be able to use baby formulae, you could phone and ask the vet
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks I will do that

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have never hand raised baby mice or rats,but I hear many people use kitten formula with success.There is a good chance it won't survive.They need to feed every 2 hours and you will need to stimulate it to help it pee/poop.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I use KMR Kitten formula(any other brand uses BHT, which is not only a bad preservative for cats and dogs, but mice too..and...well, everything). Mix the formula according to the package, and give the baby as much as it will eat - for a baby, it's usually about 5 drops or so I think.

Massage the belly very gently after eating, and take a Q-tip and massage its genitals to stimulate defecation. If it defecates, clean it away with the Q-tip. Anything that comes out will be brownish-yellow, it will take a while before it starts looking anything like what you see in an adult mouse's cage.

Repeat very 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

When it starts nibbling on your finger tips, it's time to start weaning him/her onto solid foods - I did it by soaking a piece of bread in the milk formula - the baby licked off the milk, and after a couple of days, started nibbling on the bread, too.

Please note, besides your best efforts, it is very difficult to nurse a baby to weaning stage if it's just a few days old. At a few days old it's too crucial to be with mom and be nourished off of her milk. Doesn't mean it shouldn't try, though. The first mouse I nursed was like 4 days old, he barely had any fur coming in, his eyes weren't developed, and his ears were just barely noticeable. He survived 48 hours, and then passed away, warm, with a full belly. The second one I found was older, his eyes were about 90% developed, it was just a matter of when they would open. His ears were completely developed, and he had a thin, but noticeable layer of fur. He survived, still surviving, So it's extremely rewarding if you can get them to survive to the weaning stage. If you can't, don't beat yourself up, it was NOT your fault - he just wasn't meant to make it. :/

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 01-29-2010 at 01:58 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I use KMR too with wild baby mice! They eat VERY little each time.
Wet the qtip with a little bit of warm water, that will simulate the mommy's tongue a bit better, and be sure to not irritate the genitals.

flickering hope gives all the perfect advice on how to do this
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks, dustette,

That's right, sorry, forgot to mention the warm water on a Q-tip. Also, you'll want to use a damp Q-tip to clean its mouth, too, it can be VERY messy, if you don't make the milk the right consistency, it can be very sticky, stick all over them, and be very difficult to clean off. First time I did it I make it way too sticky, and had to feel dried milk flakes from Farble's mouth, I was so afraid I was going to hurt him because some of them stuck on pretty tight. Which is why I say you're going to want to make sure it's more runny, and less sticky.

Oh, also, do not feed the baby on its back. I can include a video of how I held the first baby mouse I found for feeding...let me find it....

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=DSCF4832.flv
(that was the first one I ever found, his name was Farble for "Furry Marble" he was so tiny)

Picture:

I wound up having to try different holding positions - he struggled endlessly for this one, but he was so tiny there wasn't really any other options to feed him in any other position. When I fed Muse, as he was older and more sturdy on his feet, I cupped my entire hand around him with his head poking out again my curled index finger and resting against the webbing of my thumb, and inside my fist I had my middle finger and ring finger supporting his butt.

Actually, now that I think back on it, the second method I used more than what I did in the picture - he didn't struggle nearly as much. Neither him or Muse did, actually. And I rested the syringe against my thumb and slowly fed the formula to him. It got it done a LOT faster.

You may find a different way works for you and him/her, but do not feed him on his back.

If milk starts coming out of its nose, you're feeding way too fast. One thing you need for sure is patience. One drop, wait......clean off his/her mouth in the meanwhile if you have to, another drop, wait..... It should be anywhere from 10 - 20 minutes to warm up the milk, give it to him, clean him off, and put him back to bed. It's very tiring, but very rewarding if you succeed.

Oh, it's also very important that you weigh him. One of the biggest signs that Farble wasn't going to make it is he started losing weight. I kept feeding him, doing what I was doing normally, but he kept losing weight, and then I went to feed him again 2 hours later, had already passed on.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 01-29-2010 at 02:33 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well, we lost her I went and bought the formula but it was too late she died in my hands

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so sorry

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Oh, poor little thing. There may have been something wrong with her that would have kept her from having a good quality of life even if she had lived. It's always upsetting to lose one though.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyseeker View Post
Oh, poor little thing. There may have been something wrong with her that would have kept her from having a good quality of life even if she had lived. It's always upsetting to lose one though.
Yeah its always hard when its a baby who hasnt even gotten to live really

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I'm sorry to hear. at lest she lived what life she had and was not on the menu. think of here as a mouse angel to look over the other mice that are still here.
It is hard to lose a pet young or old and raising little tiny ones by hand is hard but worth it. At lest you did all you could and that is what counts. May peace be with you at this time.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.