Runts? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Question Runts?

Two of the little mouse babies are much smaller than the rest of the litter, the others have got some thin fur and markings and these poor little guys are still completely naked, pink and a little bit see through and are often buried in the pile of squirming. Anything I can do extra for these littlies? will they survive?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:24 PM

Thumbs up

yes go to your pet store and get some kitten formula and they might have little small feeder bottles for babies but if not just get like an eye dropper or one of those litle medacine surenge and just take the little guys out and feed them some of the formula they probably might not suvive cuz the biger ones are gonna just push the little ones out of the way and they might starve. just keep in mind if you do decide to hand feed them then you might want to keep them in a separate cage cuz the mom might eat them. ohh yeah feed them like every 2 hours until they wont take anymore and you said they r see trough so you should be able to see the milk in there bellies
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 AM
laugh often

It'd be better to leave them with mom a little longer than their siblings. If you take them out of the cage then they will need to be hand fed when yo get the kmr the itten replacement milk, it will need to be diluted 2x than what it calls for to reduce chances of choking. Also you will need to get a moist q-tip or your finger and rub their privates to get them to use the bathroom or else they will die from being stopped up. The cage will need to be half on and half off of a heating pad. The heating pad will be kept at low. They do not conduct enough body heat to sty alive by themselves at this age. Also they will need to be fed every 2-3 hours until they are 2 weeks old then every 4-6 hours will be ok. Also a cc syringe has worked best for me you can get them at the feed stores just take out the needle. Don;t get any milk in their nose so they cannot choke. Good luck. If the mice are cold they will not eat if the milk gets cold you can put it in a cup of warm water or the heating pad. Also you will need to keep the babies warm as you feed them like wrap them in a towel or something and pout them on the heating pad every so often. I hope this helps. God luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 03:30 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww i hope your little pinkies survive. xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I decided to leave the little guys in becuase I swa them feeding from momma mouse, Unfortuantly When I checked them this morning the runts were gone, there are still 12 babies left and I guess it must have been too much for such a young mouse and she got rid of them, I am so proud of her for being such a fabulous mother to the rest of the babies who are all doing extremely well. Thanks for the help _ only wish I knew more ppl who were so concerned about the tiny animals that get so often overlooked. x
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:52 AM
RAT ADDICT

When I had runts,I would just leave them in the cage with mommy and let nature takes it's course.Sometimes the little ones managed to survive and grew up well.

Actually one of my ratties was a runt.Ninja,the guy in my avatar.He was a runt when he was a baby,but now look at him! Big and squishy,you would never say he was a runt by looking at him now!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
heating pad, pet store