Sad. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Sad.

Well, it has been two weeks since I brought home my two ratties. Since then, my allergies have really been acting up. I knew I was allergic going in, as I have had a rats in the past. However, with those rats, my allergies were minimal. Symptoms included hives from scratches, and some sneezing or itchy eyes when I wasn't careful.

I figured I could deal with that again, and I even got on the allergy medication Zyrtec to ease my symptoms.

What I didn't know, however, was that my allergies have actually gotten worse over the last 4 years. I feel like such an idiot, but I really don't think there's any way I could have known. The first week with the ratties was ok, my symptoms were not that bad. But this last week has really progressively gotten worse. I have an eye infection for which I am on antibiotics. I have been wheezing, and I am constantly stuffed up and coughing/sneezing. This is extremely frustrating as I am on the Zyrtec and still have all these symptoms.

I would like to stick it out longer, but I don't want my allergies to get worse, or for the respiratory congestion to turn to infection as well. Does anyone have any useful information?

I have put so much money and time and care into my ratties that I am dissapointed and sad that I may need to get a new home for them. I figured this forum would be a good place to seek a new home for them. Is anyone interested at all?

Hoodie and Honey are Hiding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's so sad, Im sorry you can't keep them but your health is much more important. I think I would be a very miserable person if I had allergies to animals. They are truely my life, I enjoy them so much. Your rats are very cute I would of taken them if you lived closer. Do you think you would have allergies to hairless rats or other types of hairless animals? It might be worth looking into so you don't have to live with out them.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

have you been on meds for 2 weeks? some times it takes longer for meds to build up

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'm also allergic to mine and have many of the same reactions you do. I have found that I am more allergic to males than females, however if I have the males neutered it is much, much better. I don't know if you have males or not, but that would be one suggestion of how to try to keep them if you do. Good luck!

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks!

Thanks for your suggestsions. The medicine I am on is Zyrtec, and I have been on it for almost a week now, so maybe I will give it more time. My ratties are female, so at least the allergy isn't as bad as if they were males. I have some days better than others, I just didn't want to have to keep going to the Dr. and paying more and more money etc. Maybe it will get better. Thanks again for your support and suggestions!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

good luck i hope the meds work for you
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i am allergic to mine too! i am on flonase and it helps quite a bit. not only stopped up but they broke me out whenever i touched them untill i got on meds. they still break me out, but not as bad.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

good to hear. i actually have some flonase that i remembered about (from a long time ago) and tried it today. i hope it works. you would think that zyrtec, flonase, and the occasional benadryl would work, but they really make me react strongly. it is so sad to be so very allergic to something you love so much!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Miss New Booty

I don't have rats myself, but I wanted to chip in about Flonase! That stuff works great! I have allergies and I use that and also take Clarinex when needed. With the Flonase, Raeanne, make sure to try it for atleast a week as well, my Dr. had told me that. Unlike other fast acting nose sprays, this doesn't work right away, it seems to take a few days.
I really hope everything works out and you can keep your rats!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the tip!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Miss New Booty

Your welcome! I hope it works for ya!

~* Jackie *~

Tags
hairless rat, hairless rats