Photos! Sad start, happy ending - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Sad start, happy ending

Well my chocolate doe decided to birth a few days ago, she seemed quite restless and a little bit stressed.
I watched her from a distance, she delivered the first pup and immediately began eating it alive (i hate it when they do this) i knew this was going to be a disaster, 2nd, 3rd and 4th pups all had the same experience
Then she must have decided she was full up, she was running around the tank, dropping babies as she went, they were getting buried in the woodshavings and some still have umbilical (sp?) cords still attached...was quite distressing to watch, but i decided to take a chance, i went round after her and collected the babies up, pulled the shavings off them and warmed them up as they were already freezing cold.
Took them over to one of my hairless colonies as one of the females had got 3 babies of her own that were a few days old, seeing as she only had the 3 i decided to put these new just a few minutes old pups in her nest.
My hairless colonies are extremely friendly and very welcoming of people and other animals, and i had a strong feeling she'd take them on, and i was right, she immediatly came over to inspect the new arrivals, straight away she cleaned them up, gave them the once or twice over then settled down and gave them all their first feed, i'm so proud of her, i always have surrogate mice taking on litters, but never babies so tiny and never a lone female, its usually a group that take babies on together so they tend to think the young just belong to oneanother.
I've got some pics anyway of me introducing them, and to this day they are all doing great, they're now a couple of days old and shes being a great mum to them!

Heres the little babies after i'd collected them all up

with hairless mums litter

Investigating new arrivals!

cleaning them all up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Adolescent Pup

thats so cute. I'm glad you thought to put them in there.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Aww congrats! I'm glad things turned out okay. Why do you think their original mom rejected them?

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

It may have been that i turned up at the wrong moment, mice don't like to be caught out giving birth and she may have felt vulnerable by my presence.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Part of the Pack

I would actually try increasing the protein in the diet. Add a couple handfuls of cat food... That clears up about 99% of my cannibalism problems.

Also, take the sour cream containers and cut a little doorway into the side (wide enough for a preggo to fit through! LOL) and put the lid back on. They love to use them as nests and the mothers feel much safer that way. That as well as increasing protein a few days prior to babies has all but eliminated cannibalism from my bunch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

What kind of foods contain high levels of protein?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 02:35 PM
chinchilla breeder

I am glad the mom took the other babies. That is good news.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Morici
ABC CHINCHILLAS

Many high quality chinchillas Available..

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Part of the Pack

You can feed the cat foods or if they'll take it, some lunch meats. Beans have high protein as well, though I find that they seem to take the animal protein instead of their babies better.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 01:18 AM

I used peanut butter to add protein to my rats diet when one needed to gain weight. Not a lot but enough to make a difference in their diet.

Tags
babies, hairless, mice, mouse