Scabby skin? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Exclamation Scabby skin?

Ok....so i have finally found a new home fro my rat zoe, which i am super excited about....i am soo glad i was able to find someone who is willing to taker her in since i can no longer keep her. hopefully it works out. But over th past few week i have noticed that my rat has little scabs on he skin as if shes scratching too hard and then its scabbing over. At first i thought maybe she had fleas or somethign of that sort and i got this stuff for her cage and gave her a bath and the scabs seemed to start to lessen in their amount, but now they are bad again.I also am thinking mayeb its just dry skin that shes scratching at but can rats even get dry skin/like a rat eczema? Shes acting completly normal, shes eatign and playign and everythign and i dotn see her scratching too often.But since i foudn her a possible new home, i dont want to give her to someone when she is all scabby. I plan on explaining to the adoptee about her skin and i will take her to the vet if need be, but i am a college student and the pricing here for just an examination is crazy nevermind if she needs medicine. But she is well worth the cost if that is wat she needs to help her.So before i take her to the vet and spend this money i was wonderign if anyone had any suggestions on wat i could be or what might be the reason shes scratching. If anyone has any info that might help i would really really appreciate it, and onec again thanx to all those that helped me out during my search for a new home for my rat. I hope i can get the same quality help regarding this issue. Thanks so much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

well, if its not mites then it may be a food allergy. what food do you feed her? what treats do you give her? make sure you are feeding her rat food and not hamster or parot food. there may be too much protien in her diet. my boys had that problem and i changed their food.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Actually my mom had bought her new food while i was away,i think that could be the problem. Ill have to go back to the store and get her the food i usually give her. Is there any foods that you guys would recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

There are some things a rat needs in their diet. Like a high quality lab block and/ or High quality senior or lite dog food. I recommend Harland Lab blocks or Mazuri, most other commercial brands use dried corn as their first ingriedient, which is not good for ratties. I also recommend Nutro Maxx senior dog food. Also never use Kaytee forti diet as it contains ethoxyquin (sp) which causes cancer in rats. As far as the skin, it can be a multitude of things, I would say a vet visit is in order. Maybe you can explain the situation to her new adoptee's and they can take her. Also try a few drops of olive oil on a piece of bread, that can help with dry skin. Good Luck!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question

Can i purchase those lab blocks at a pet store? or is there somewhere i should order them from? And in regards to the dog food, u mean canned right? An dif you mean canned is that just something you would give them once a day/ once a week? or is that their main diet? i am just curious to find out all i can for my adoptees who are taking my Zoey...once again thanks soo much!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 01:18 AM
Adolescent Pup

Well first you would have to ask around about the lab blocks, A pet supply place near me has the Harlan 8604 in there bulk bins and also in 33 lb. bags. If you can't find them near you, you can order from Kims ark, and their prices are very good and it helps the rescue http://kimsarkrescue.org/ As far as the dog food, I mean hard food. Once a day with both or either the lab blocks or dog food. But i think both is best. Also she should have fresh fruits and veggies in her diet.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Smile

Thanks so much!!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:41 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

Hey kiki, what year are you in school? I am a college senior right now in Vermont, USA! Good luck!

-Tare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Im actually only a freshman this year at umass dartmouth, ive gotten my first semester down!!! Thanks for the luck!

Tags
dog food, dried corn, lab block, lab blocks, pet store, rat food, vet visit