Scared, Sad, and Frustrated... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Scared, Sad, and Frustrated...

Da Vinci's getting worse...If any of you remember, I posted about him "croaking" or "oinking" every once in a while..

I walked in today and he was doing some high-pitched sound when he was breathing...I want to say it's wheezing but I'm not 100%. The Vet's phone is busy, and even then the Rat Vet may not be back from vacation yet..He doesn't even look sick, just sounds worse..

I'm so frustrated because there's no other vet near us in this dinky little town. I feel extremely helpless and I'm crying like a baby...None of my rats have ever been sick before.. I taped the sound so if I can figure out how to post it I will...

But is there ANYTHING I could do to help? Anything I could give him, that's lying around the house, to help? I just hate hearing it - I feel like a horrible friend to him. Do these RI's hurt him? I hope he's not in pain...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

http://zain-winters.xanga.com/audio/2ab933664837/

That's the sound. >.<

(my boyfriend let me use his really old Blog, sorry for the re-direct).

Last edited by Khodieylia; 08-31-2009 at 04:44 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:32 PM
RAT ADDICT

The page "isn't found".
He will need antibiotics to clear the RI up.
In the meantime until you can get ahold of the vet,run the shower on hot in the bathroom till it gets nice and steamy and have the rat in there in a small cage/carrier for about 10 minutes.The steam will clear his airways temporarily.

Is he still eating and drinking?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Oops, sorry, it was on private. The link should work now.

I got through to the vet, and the earliest I can get him in is Wednesday. Tomorrow I have a vet appointment for my kitten anyways, so I'll talk to them tomorrow. I'll definitely be giving him his antibiotics - any suggestions how to give him it? Isn't it a syringe-given?

He's been sleeping since I got home, but I'll see if he'll eat a yogie. He was drinking last night, and eating.

Edit// Yes, he's eating.

Last edited by Khodieylia; 08-31-2009 at 04:53 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:49 PM
RAT ADDICT

Alot of rats hate the syringe,which is what you be given.
Some rats don't mind it,but if he squirms or dislikes the syringe,you can put the meds into some fruit flavor baby food and the ratty will lap all of that up,along with the meds.

This is what I usually do.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Alot of rats hate the syringe,which is what you be given.
Some rats don't mind it,but if he squirms or dislikes the syringe,you can put the meds into some fruit flavor baby food and the ratty will lap all of that up,along with the meds.

This is what I usually do.
Okay. Thank you..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Thats the exact sound my other boy toto made when he got ill, his got louder and worse and he stopped eatting and was very uncomfortable, but because i left it so long as none of my vets could treat him, i had to get him PTS, but after this happened i learned that anitbiotics would of helped him, if you need some good advice i would PM lilspaz, shes GREAT! for rat advice! good luck

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebee1 View Post
Thats the exact sound my other boy toto made when he got ill, his got louder and worse and he stopped eatting and was very uncomfortable, but because i left it so long as none of my vets could treat him, i had to get him PTS, but after this happened i learned that anitbiotics would of helped him, if you need some good advice i would PM lilspaz, shes GREAT! for rat advice! good luck
Thank you.. He's no better but no worse, except maybe a little more sneezy.. but no poryphin, or anything like that.

I have him a vet visit on Friday. I just hope it doesn't get any worse 'till then. He's eating, drinking and bruxes when we cuddle at night (I've not taken him out to play - I don't want him to over-exert himself, so we just cuddle before bed).

I went in and the receptionist asked, "name?"
"Da Vinci"
"Ooh, that's cute. What color is his fur?"
"Uh, heh, he's hairless."
I thought that was so funny.

Last edited by Khodieylia; 09-02-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Tags
male rat, respiratory infection, sick rat, wheezing