scaredy-cat rat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

scaredy-cat rat

one of my new rats is scared of EVERYTHING i think i will be able to tame it eventually, but i dont know if i will be able to introduce it to my other rats, i dont want it to be picked on at all right now it is in with a lot smaller younger rat that i got it with, i was wondering if it would possibly get along better with a mouse to live with sence i know that they are very social and need friends to have confidence but the baby rat that its with is very out going and i think will be able to get along with the others well i know some rats can kill mice so i was wondering what you all thought

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Title Thief Victim

i personally wouldnt but it with mice... but keep working with him..he will come around eventually...good luck.!

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 05:02 PM

I'd put it with the mouse. The mouse will be fine.

Scaredy-rat, eh? That = all my male rats hahaha. I'm still bitter about them, but they'll come around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

shes a girl, she hides under the bedding just runs a way crazyly i think one of our big rats would pick on her

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

NO don't put her with the mouse. Rats are predators to mice, and even if they get along now it can kick in. 9 times out of 10 rats and mice won't get along.

If you think that she'll get picked on introduce them on neutral territory a few times before you put her in the cage with them. There may be some scuffling but it's just them showing her who the alpha is. The rule is, no blood no foul. So don't worry too much. A good thing to do is put a little hidey house in there that is too small for the big rats to get in .

*Missy*
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

shes kinda chubby, its not the small one im worried about shes just scared of everything i hope she comes out of it ive seen some people on here that have had mice with their rats but i didnt think much about it until i got the scaredycat rat

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

There are very few rats that will get along with mice. A lot of the rats on here have been housed with mice since they were babies.

Even then it still doesn't work. It's an instinct and predator thing.

I wouldn't do it unless you want to lose a mouse. I'm telling you if you introduce the rats properly there shouldn't be a problem. There is always picking at first because they are establishing the alpha. As long as there is no blood there is no problem. Just do a little research.

*Missy*
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

how old is the rat? you could introduce them together in a bathtub and see how it goes but dont leave them without supervision...the mouse would probably be terrified...

if the rat is half way grown, its probably a bad idea

and if you havent had this rat long enough, then you probably dont know its personality very well yet....wait...be patient...introduce as often as possible...but the rat could get confident with the smalller mouse around, show dominance, mouse could get upset and fight, mouse could be nipped, or if its serious-killed...

i personally have this kind of housing, but im not just dumping them in and doing my own thing....i did it when they were 3-7days old, no lie, and i watched and watched and watched...with an older rat its even harder, so monitor the situation well, might be better with a younger mouse..

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 09:55 AM

Put it with the mouse. I've never had a problem with rats getting along with any mice. They seem to think the mice are baby rats, a lot of the time. From big males to small babies...it didn't matter...no trouble. I don't like when people regurgitate random jargon they've read on the internet without personal experience.

Last edited by Turkeyman; 02-09-2007 at 09:57 AM.
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

ok i think if it doesnt get along well with the large rats ill give it a mouse, its in with a really small rat now that is about the size of a mouse and it got kicked out of the bed by it, shes pretty young 2-3 months i just dont want to house her on her own, and i know that shed probably be able to survive with the old rats i have but i dont want her to have to sleep in the bed that no one else wants and never get to keep her treats and things i hate it when one gets picked on

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:27 AM

DO NOT EVER put a rat with a mouse unless your planning to feed the mouse to the rat. the rat WILL kill it. Just introduce the rat to the other rats, the other rats will help it. MICE AND RATS CANNOT LIVE TOGETHER!
post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

yeah, i agree with turkeyman..
my breeder has done it, i have
BUT it REALLY depends on the rats personality
bc some rats will shred to them to pieces and mine and turkeyman's wont...thats why its highly debatable

just put the two together and watch them
you will see if they get along or not

let us know how that goes

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentz
DO NOT EVER put a rat with a mouse unless your planning to feed the mouse to the rat. the rat WILL kill it. Just introduce the rat to the other rats, the other rats will help it. MICE AND RATS CANNOT LIVE TOGETHER!
thats not true at all. Its happened to me, and breeders...it depends on what kind of a demeandor the rat has

heres my proof.

ITS UP TO THE OWNER TO DECIDE. some rats are going to be aggressive to mice, others not......no two rats are the same.

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Last edited by Skratikans; 02-10-2007 at 11:33 AM.
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:33 AM

yes that is true. Any breeder that puts adult mice and rats together is an idiot and has no buisness breeding. They hcant live together. rats WILL kill the mouse. you keep telling her this and its going to end up horrible.
post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:34 AM

you should never mix those species. When they get attacked your going to be sorry.

Tags
baby rats, dwarf hamster, female rat, fish tank, hamster cage, male rat, male rats, pet owner, pet store, pet stores, pine bedding, rat cage, responsible pet owner