Scooby :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Unhappy Scooby :(

I found Scooby lying in the cage struggling for breath this morning and my husband has taken him to the vets I couldnt bring myself to go because i am sure he will be pts and i cant bear to watch that again i went through it with Tessie and it broke my heart I have had Scooby for 13 months now and i love him to bits the waiting is awful...........i will let you know the outcome

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 AM

Omg I'm so sorry. I hope he doesn't have to be pts. He'll be in my thoughts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Well he came home from the vets to my utter joy! He is still struggling with breathing but he is not suffering in any way...........he is in the 1st stage of pneumonia so i am hoping we caught it early enough to cure him. He was given an injection at the vet and is now on baytril and i am trying to get him to eat some babyfood etc to build up his strength...........the next 24hrs is critical and i hope i can get him through it........he is missing his brother and his cagemates poor boy i feel so bad for him

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

ok so is like baytril the head master of antibiotics for rats? because i noticed its not only used for this but its used for all of the other sicknesses in rats too

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

It's the most common antibiotic for small animals. One of my rabbits is currently on it too

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

I hope he gets better!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 PM

Good luck. I hope he gets better soon.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Thankyou. He is still looing rough today and is totally lame just wants to sleep bless him. He wont eat or drink so i have been giving him sugar water by syringe to boost his energy levels and to hydrate him........i am hoping he perks up soon i cant bare seeing him like this i just want him to start eating and drinking somewhat normally again poor boy

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I know I said I wouldn't interfere with your posts but try this rehydration formula instead...it helps a little more than regular water and the rats like the taste.

Homemade rehydrating formula: 10 oz warm water, 1 tsp sugar, 1/3 tsp salt. Mix well, refrigerate extra, warm up to feed.

You could try to syringe Ensure into him, I had to do that with Soma when she had pneumonia. Strawberry is the fav flavour with my crews.

Good luck with Scooby, pneumonia sucks.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Thanks lilspaz i will try adding salt to the sugar water i already made and see if that helps! What is Ensure? Where do i get that?

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazsamps View Post
Thanks lilspaz i will try adding salt to the sugar water i already made and see if that helps! What is Ensure? Where do i get that?
Ensure or even Boost are liquid meal replacements. You can get it in a can, single plastic bottle or a 6-pack. It helps with sick rats, because they like the taste and its "food" and liquid all in one.

I get my Ensure at the pharmacy or even the bigger chain stores, you are in the US so I bet the infamous Walgreen's carries it

Strawberry is first fav here, then Vanilla....

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I'm not in the US hun i am in the UK lol! We have a similar sort of thing though i can get for him!!! x

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazsamps View Post
I'm not in the US hun i am in the UK lol! We have a similar sort of thing though i can get for him!!! x
Yes! I think its called Complan

I have a rat friend in England, so I have learned the alternatives for Canada -> UK

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Cool indeed it is called complan and i bought some today! He is very perky today he has been hopping around his cage and hopped right on out for a cuddle so thats a plus!!!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!