Scratching a bit more than usual... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Scratching a bit more than usual...

Hey everybody. I've noticed today that my two boys, but especially Stanley, seem to be scratching themselves a bit more than they usually do. (They've always been very fussy about cleaning themselves, but today especially they've been itching and scratching quite a bit more than normal.) The thing is, I have checked them both over and don't see anything in or on their skin to indicate a problem (skin is perfectly light pink, with no red spots or scabs or anything unusual). I just rubbed a bit of olive oil on them to see if that helps a bit... The only other thing I've noticed is that I've heard them both sneeze a couple of times today. Other than that, they are eating very well, playing as they normally do, and have clear breathing sounds.

Could this be mites? Is this something I need to take them to a vet for, or should I continue to monitor for a few days? If the latter, what types of symptoms should I monitor for?

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

you would see mites I think, especially on the black rat.
It may be how much protein you're giving them. I think that if it's too high or too low it can give itching/skin problems.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
you would see mites I think, especially on the black rat.
It may be how much protein you're giving them. I think that if it's too high or too low it can give itching/skin problems.
protein sensitivity is actually pretty rare, its more likely ectoparasites.

Mites are almost always invisible to the naked eye, and prefer to start on the shoulders, neck, head, cheeks and chin...lice are visible and start colonizing on the back and rump

feel for scabs on their chin especially and shoulders...dig dig into their fur. Or dampen them with water to see down to the skin better.

If you think their skin is a bit dry add the olive oil to their diet once a week.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

thank god there's knowledgeable people like you!
I think i got the mites thing mixed up with lice! And I thought the protein thing was common since it seems very important to stay under a certain %, so is it more for obesity than anything else?
so, how do you tell if it is mites? you have to get it checked out by a vet?
Are they dangerous?
I need more info on this too because my friend's rat has 1 or 2 scabs behind its ears. I go there rarely but I'd rather avoid spreading it to my rat!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
thank god there's knowledgeable people like you!
I think i got the mites thing mixed up with lice! And I thought the protein thing was common since it seems very important to stay under a certain %, so is it more for obesity than anything else?
so, how do you tell if it is mites? you have to get it checked out by a vet?
Are they dangerous?
I need more info on this too because my friend's rat has 1 or 2 scabs behind its ears. I go there rarely but I'd rather avoid spreading it to my rat!
High protein actually puts too much stress on kidneys etc...the rat won't live as long, may got through renal failure earlier than normal, etc...

Your best bet if you think it is mites is just to treat it. Vets like to do skin scrapings of rats, which hurt them, cost a little, and often give "false negatives". Mites are naturally in a rats skin but its only when an animal is sick (immunocompromised), stressed or exposed to a larger population that they show the symptoms of mite infestation.

If i see scabs on my ratkids I dose them all with Revolution ASAP...one drop and they are done.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks SOO much for this information! I will go check their chin and shoulder area right now... but just a question: where do you get Revolution from?

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
Thanks SOO much for this information! I will go check their chin and shoulder area right now... but just a question: where do you get Revolution from?
I get Revolution from my vet or the Pet Megastore in AUS...it's cheaper through them

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, I've been checking my boys for scabs or spots every day, and I still haven't seen anything on their skin, but they're still pretty itchy. Would bathing them potentially help? (And if so, what kind of shampoo is best for rats?) Also, I should note that my apartment is very dry, especially now that the heat is on. Could this be a possible cause for their itchiness? (Their nails are also getting pretty long, but I'm really afraid to cut them... but if it would help them to stop itching, maybe I'll have to...)

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

my friend's rat has scabs on the neck, behind ears, and chin...
I'm thinking it's a good idea to get revolution no?
What's other possible reasons for scabs? i told her to do the olive oil thing in case it's just really dry skin.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

i can't find revolution on the store you mentioned... is there a canadian equivalent? (i'm in quebec)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I just took my boys to the vet this morning, and he gave them a dose of Revolution. He said that if the rats are scratching and have any indication of scabs, they'll generally treat them for mites just to be on the safe side--so your friend should probably do the same. Here in the States you have to get it via prescription, though I think in Canada you might be able to order it without a vet visit.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Alright, i saw it online. It's my friend's decision to treat the rat or not, i saw the mites can get so bad they start eating the ears! if she says she has no money for it, I'll buy a box and keep one tube (i think you need just a drop per rat?) and give the other 2 to my parents who have cats and sometimes foster kittens.
Is it the one for kittens or small dogs that the vet used, do you know?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

thank you
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Is it the one for kittens or small dogs that the vet used, do you know?
You should get the mauve packet for puppies and kittens, and the approximate dosage is just .05 cc for rats around 1/2 lb and under. (Two drops total.)

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

okiii 2 drops sounds good, and the puppies and kittens thing too!
thanks very much! her rat is an adult female but obese so I'll weigh her first to make sure she's 1/2lb or less!