Selene April 2005 to May 18, 2007 :'( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Selene April 2005 to May 18, 2007 :'(

This has to be one of the hardest days I have been through with my rats in a long long time. I am actually typing up this memorial even before I take her in for her 9:30 Appointment, because I know I won’t be able to afterwards.

Warning: Some VERY graphic photos below.

Selene was adopted from a local shelter with her sister Soma, 3 months after I adopted their other sister Luna. Luna was sickly and died young at 10 months, but had an incredible personality. I got her 2 sisters because they had been languishing in the shelter for their whole life (6 months at that point) and I decided if they were anything like Luna I couldn’t let them stay there.
Selene and Soma just home (Selene is green)

Selene at 9 months old

Selene meeting Ariel, one of my rescue babies…she was still living with Portia, Ariel’s sister

Well Soma and Selene were amazing characters. Soma passed on Nov. 14/06 from intestinal masses, but Selene soldiered on. She always was an independent big girl who had her own agenda. Extreme Cuddling like her sister, etc was NOT on the agenda.
Poor Selene had an inguinal tumour removal at 15 months. 5 Days later we were in the battle for her life! She ended up with stress induced Pyoderma a very rare skin condition that is similar to flesh-eating disease. My poor girl was on meds and painkillers as we fought for a long time. In fact it was 5 months before her skin was “healed”. Healed means hairless lumpy scarred patches. My fat girl is now famous on ratguide.com as a case history for Pyoderma. Hopefully this will help others diagnose what is wrong with their rat and give them hope that the patient doesn’t always die.
Health Guide: Pyoderma Figure 4

Selene when I first noticed the dark thicker skin on her flank

Selene when she was first diagnosed (shaved and samples taken)

Day 15

Day 20

Day 55

And finally the skin “healed”

She stayed cheerful and brave through the entire thing…she was so inspiring. Then the inguinal tumour recurred 7 months later as well as 3 others popping up at the same time. I knew that Pyoderma could easily recur and I didn’t think she could take another round.
When Soma passed, Selene took over taking care of my very old paralysed boy Sebastian. Then after Seb passed and I took in 2 older girls from a rehoming situation. Selene adopted Maddy the sick, tilty older girl. I had never seen my brusque girl be gentle and kind and groom old Maddy while she slept., and cuddled near her in places she normally didn’t go. It was beautiful. Maddy was only with us for 3 weeks (only 2 weeks with Selene) before I let her go on Tuesday. I am sure that sweet caring Maddy is waiting for Selene right now.
Sadly Selene’s beautiful and strong shining spirit is being betrayed by her weak body, and she is uncomfortable and has had enough. Its time for my trouper to end her time here with me. She knows. She let me cuddle, cry and hold her for ages last night. She even licked the tears from my face and ducked her head under my chin. She has this amazing habit of staring you in the face like she is dying to talk to you, but can’t get the words out.

My friends have been an amazing support for me through all of this, and I wanted to thank you all for this. ((hugs))

Fare thee well my brave and inspiring girl. I WILL have that bowl of food out for you for when you visit. LOL
Selene and Soma

Portia and Selene…everyone needs a rathat

Not long ago in my lap..she looks so serene here

Selene and Maddy on top

Selene and Maddy’s cagemate Shadow

My last picture of her.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Aww I'm so sorry *hugs*

She sounds like she was an amazing little critter and I'm sure she loved being with you very much. Pyoderma is tough - researchers at my school are actually working on a vaccine right now for it, because it's becoming immune to a lot of the antibiodics commonly given for it and once an animal gets it once, it's highly likely that it will reoccure.

Your doing the right thing by not letting her suffer. She deserves to go peacefully, free from pain. It's so sad that these cute little guys get to spend such a short time here with us, and yet they touch us so much in such a short time. You gave her a great life and it's important to try to remember all the good memmories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Oily Chickenspew

I'm so sorry!! i'm seriously crying right now after reading all that!!

RIP Selene

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Will It Ever Change?

oh my *hugs* my prayers are with you

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm so sorry .

You are doing the right thing.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww *hugs* it made me cry as i read it, she's in a better place waiting for you and her pain is gone

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm so sorry about your hunnie Lilspaz.... She's so beautiful, her poor skin . It;s good she at least got to looking better. She was spoiled with you, I don't know you personally but I do know you take excellent care of your rats. Hope you feel better .

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

Tags
local shelter