Serious Fighting Issue - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Serious Fighting Issue

I'm new here because I need some advice. I've searched online and found other people with problems with their rats fighting, but nothing really seems to match my situation.

I have four male rats, three of which are full grown and one that is about six months or so. One of the older rats (Chip) has been beating up the other older rats (Romeo and Oreo), but not the six month old one (Cricket). They have all grown up together and I don't understand what's going on now. I know about the whole 'alpha' situation and before he would just knock them around and they would fight with each other, but now he's just beating them up daily, especially Romeo. And Romeo will try to run away from him but Chip will just chase him and knock him down and they will actually be doing a lot of squeaking and banging around. I've seen bite marks on Oreo's back and deep scratches and marks on Romeo, but nothing on Chip, it seems like he's doing all the hurting.

But as recently as yesterday Romeo and Chip were lying in the cage next to each other. What's their problem? He only seems to hurt them at night.

Now the issue I have is what to do? Should I take him out of the cage? And if so what do I do with him? I don't have a seperate cage or the money to get one right now. And the younger rat, he's a Dumbo and EXTREMELY sweet and shy, I'm afraid that when he gets older I won't be home the first time Chip attacks him and if he does I don't think Cricket can defend himself and he might get hurt really bad. I'm in need of extreme advice, please help me out if you can! I love my boys dearly, all of them, and I am hoping someone can tell me how to make them get along. What could be causing them to fight and can I stop it?

Thank you for reading this!

Kathryn
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I would say seperate the aggressive one. I understand not having the money but you could come home to a seriously injured or dead rat if not. Maybe try a yard sale or somehting for an old cage. I wish I had another solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnsweets
I would say seperate the aggressive one. I understand not having the money but you could come home to a seriously injured or dead rat if not. Maybe try a yard sale or somehting for an old cage. I wish I had another solution.
I know that rats shouldn't live alone though, and I'm afraid to get
another cage and another rat to live with him because what if I
have the same problem once again? Also, the boys sleep all together,
they'll cuddle and play, but Chip just seems to attack them out of
nowhere? it doesn't make sense! I am looking into getting another
cage though, just in case they continue to fight. They haven't
for the last ... 24 hours or so. Thank you so much for your
concern, and helping me out! If anyone finds any cheap cages online,
let me know please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

My rats do the same thing,and it seems at night is when it is the worst.Scubbles the shy one becomes the King of the hill and ive seen Scubbles knock BEnny down on the ground and pin him there ,and Benny just blocks himself but wont fight back .Then they fight and squeek for awile and then there hugging each other cuddled up in a ball or playing with stuff together again.
maybe you could put the 6 month old in a cage with the aggressive one,since he dosnt bother him.Look on ebay always cheap cages there,or go to pet shops and ask for used cages,people bring back cages sometimes and you can get a deal.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RondaNC
My rats do the same thing,and it seems at night is when it is the worst.Scubbles the shy one becomes the King of the hill and ive seen Scubbles knock BEnny down on the ground and pin him there ,and Benny just blocks himself but wont fight back .Then they fight and squeek for awile and then there hugging each other cuddled up in a ball or playing with stuff together again.
maybe you could put the 6 month old in a cage with the aggressive one,since he dosnt bother him.Look on ebay always cheap cages there,or go to pet shops and ask for used cages,people bring back cages sometimes and you can get a deal.
Thanks for the suggestion! I really hoped I could come up with a solution other than having to purchase another cage or get him surgery ... but I guess those are my only options! Good luck with your boys!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 07:18 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

This is a really long shot, but if you lived near me I could give him a really good home. I started looking for 1 rat that can not live with others.
I live near Allentown PA- Northeastern PA
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Lee
This is a really long shot, but if you lived near me I could give him a really good home. I started looking for 1 rat that can not live with others.
I live near Allentown PA- Northeastern PA
I live near Chicago, IL, but I really could never give him up, I do love him dearly, I just want him to behave! I am going to set up another cage to put him in at night, because that seems to be when he's feeling feisty and wants to fight, but thank you! I hope you find your rattie!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 06:53 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thank for reply. I do understand. I guess I'm going to get a pair instead of 1 .
Good luck with your boys!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Newborn Pup

At Petco, they sell plastic 'aquarium' type cages that are 10 dollars or less. This might work for just a while until you can figure something out long term?

Hoodie and Honey are Hiding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Adolescent Pup

Fighting rats

Get another cage the males will fight and seriously hurt one another, i raise them and no 2 males are ever together once they are old enough about 2 mnths of age. You don't have the money for another cage then get rid of the rat, otherwide all your doing is gonna make one of the rats freaky and scared to be held thinking it's being attacked,then you have a freaky rat on your hands. No money for a yard sale cage, then sell the rats, oh thats right, don't want to do that either huh? Why bother asking if you know the answer and can't do anything about it. One or more will be continuely hurt and not be a pet anymore.,..sadd so saadd.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggy415
Get another cage the males will fight and seriously hurt one another, i raise them and no 2 males are ever together once they are old enough about 2 mnths of age.
Actually that's not true in the least. Males can live very happily together for life just as well as females can live together. It's even fairly easy to introduce two adult males to each other and have them get along just fine. In my 10 years of rat keeping I've never had an issue with males living together and very rarely hear of such problems.

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That was an odd post eh? Not too sweet.
I never had a problem with my male rats ether. 2 lived in 1 cage and 3 lived in another, not 1 problem with any of them getting along.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggy415
Get another cage the males will fight and seriously hurt one another, i raise them and no 2 males are ever together once they are old enough about 2 mnths of age. You don't have the money for another cage then get rid of the rat, otherwide all your doing is gonna make one of the rats freaky and scared to be held thinking it's being attacked,then you have a freaky rat on your hands. No money for a yard sale cage, then sell the rats, oh thats right, don't want to do that either huh? Why bother asking if you know the answer and can't do anything about it. One or more will be continuely hurt and not be a pet anymore.,..sadd so saadd.
Well I'm definitely not selling or giving away any of my rats, and 2nd
of all, none of my rats are becoming 'freaky', and I don't think you
know at all what you're talking about by saying they will get 'freaky'.
All of my rats are incredibly trusting and sweet, and none of them
are afraid of me at all. Chip doesn't bother the other boys in the
day, only at night, so I assumed that someone might have some
suggestions and be helpful (and some of you have - thank you) and
maybe I could find a solution to this problem other than purchasing
a new cage.

Thank you very much but I am not stupid.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Newborn Pup

The only time my males started fighting was when they became aware of the females as "girls". Maybe since the one you have is so young, the one is confused about its sex, and feels like it has to be more dominate. That would explain why it doesn't fight with him.
I had all my males fixed (about 20-25 bucks each) now all the males and females live together. They still get a bit testy when the females are in full heat but nothing like before when Barney started the biting. They are fixed but a few still remember what it is all about.
When I notice that there is more challenging going on this is what I do to keep the peace and it works very well. I have multi cages hooked together ( you will probably only need two). All the rats are together during the day (sleepy/mellow time) and at night , ONLY if there are arguments I seperate/close off the connections with the ones who have a problem with each other. This does not mean alone. There are different groups together (who are getting along), and then in the morning they are back together agian. This way they all stay a family unit and there is no feelings of being expelled from the family. I don't have to do this very often, just when someone is feeling their oats too much. Hope this helps.

Tags
male rat, male rats, pet shop, pet shops