Severly agressive pregnant female mouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Severly agressive pregnant female mouse

One of my foster mice is being extremely aggressive with me and my other females to the point that she attempted to rip another females foot off, every time I go to pick up their food bowl she flies out of her box and tries very hard to bite me. She is pregnant and I know that, that can bring out aggression, but this is almost to the point of going beyond that. The vet said shes healthy and that there was nothing wrong with her disease wise but I have had to put her in her own cage because she is wreaking havoc in the 55 gallon she was in with 8 other girls. I am at complete loss as to what to do. I will probably keep her as she is to aggressive to place in a home. But what I am worried about is her babies and their well being and health.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow...poor Momma! Could it be that she's kinda traumatized? Being cramped in a small tank (before coming to your house). Might it be possible to half the babies split them into two groups) and have one of the other females foster them? Rats and mice aren't that different, and I've taken pups from an overwhelmed mother, and given them to another lactating mom. I've never had an issue with it, and Rats just see a baby...and assume it's theirs!
I wish you the best of luck! Wish I were closer...I'd adopt a few babies!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
Wow...poor Momma! Could it be that she's kinda traumatized? Being cramped in a small tank (before coming to your house). Might it be possible to half the babies split them into two groups) and have one of the other females foster them? Rats and mice aren't that different, and I've taken pups from an overwhelmed mother, and given them to another lactating mom. I've never had an issue with it, and Rats just see a baby...and assume it's theirs!
I wish you the best of luck! Wish I were closer...I'd adopt a few babies!
That is a very good possibility. I never thought of having another momma raise them I might just do that. She seems to be the only one thus far who has shown signs like this (and I hope none of the rest do ) I have never had a mouse draw blood on me before much less to the extent she has. I hate seeing her like this I know she must be so stressed out I just wish I could help her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I think that is just stress from the other place she was in. to her you are some one who will take away babies or not feed them and they have to fight for it. you are the enimey to her still becuase she hasnt learned that she is safe.
Another female that has babies around the time she dose she shouls have no problem taking them in. I always rub the mom I am placing them with to get the sent then rub the babies very gently of cores and get her sent on them. Then rub her agian then her babies. I would place the babies out side the nest of the new mom though incase she kills them becuase their could be something wrong with them. and the mom that is prego that is agressive could kill them as she is deliviring becuase there could be something wrong as well. you can also try a dab of vinilla on them all as well so they all smell the same.
She may settle in after the delivery and the mice get older and relize she is safe. I hope that its a learned trait and not genetic. i would keep the babies and moniter them for a while or place them in homes that know thier situation and can help you out so their is not to many and can give them a happy home knowing they could be agressive but want to give them a place to live out thier lives.
I wish you luck and think with a little time she should be ok and if not she may just be to old and set in her ways but the babies could be just fine.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.

Last edited by Diamond01; 03-07-2010 at 12:23 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Update: I was watching the aggressive female today, and I noticed her starting to attack her reflection in the tank glass. I think she may have been a little brain damaged from either inherited genetics or inbreeding, or from her trauma being shoved in a cage with 50+ mice and 1 rat. I have named her Bellatrix.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Poor baby! I feel really bad for her! I'd read in the other post that there were other abnormalities? So that very well may be the case. Poor Bella, I hope that once she has the babies she'll calm down some. And maybe draw a little less blood, none at all would be good. I'm glad that you're considering keeping her, that way she can calm down some, and not be put into another stressful move!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
Poor baby! I feel really bad for her! I'd read in the other post that there were other abnormalities? So that very well may be the case. Poor Bella, I hope that once she has the babies she'll calm down some. And maybe draw a little less blood, none at all would be good. I'm glad that you're considering keeping her, that way she can calm down some, and not be put into another stressful move!
Me too . Yeah, theres 1 male mouse I have that can't walk in a straight line he goes in circles, theres a female who only has 3 legs and theres no evidence she ever had one i cant even feel a shoulder blade. I am going to keep her she needs special care and socialization. I think she is going to have a large litter as shes HUGE, looks like she swallowed a tennis ball

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

Sounds like she may be a little neurotic.I have had aggressive mice before (in fact I have one right now),but never to the point where they would try and attack their reflections!

I agree,if you believe the babies won't be safe with her,you can give them to a surrogate.I have done this with both rats and mice back in the day when needed.

Good luck.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Sounds like she may be a little neurotic.I have had aggressive mice before (in fact I have one right now),but never to the point where they would try and attack their reflections!

I agree,if you believe the babies won't be safe with her,you can give them to a surrogate.I have done this with both rats and mice back in the day when needed.

Good luck.
Thanks Yeah, I think she might be. I am definitely going to place the babies with a few of my to be mommas (permitting they have their babies around the same time) How would I go about doing that?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

you could use vinilla and put a drop on the mom and the babies so they all smell the same or rub the mom then the babies carfully and get her sent on them then rub mom again and place them next to the nest I what I do.
They have a strong momthy nature and in the wild have been know to take others babies from theres nest and put with theirs. So introing babies to a new mom should not be hard. Unless there is something wrong with them then they could kill them. BUt the mom could do that during birth. I always perpare for both good and bad outcomes.
I wish you luck and that is wild that she attacs her refelectiong. She proably dose have something geneticly wrong with her to do that. Proably poor breeding and stress and not being proaberly cared for. I hope her babies dont turn out like her. It could be a trait that is passed on.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.

Tags
aggression, attacking other mice, biting