Sexing baby mice. Got five sexes so far.... I think I need a little help. PICS! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Question Sexing baby mice. Got five sexes so far.... I think I need a little help. PICS!

Hello everyone! If you remember, I was the person who bought two pet store mice only to have them suddenly turn into eleven mice.

These guys are now three weeks old and the boys are already getting their 'boy bits'. You think that would make sexing them easier.... Not for me anyway. I took pics of the bottoms of the mice we are thinking about keeping. We only want girls to keep their mommies company!

Oh, and sorry for the poopies in the pic. Those guys wouldn't stop going. I wonder just how much of thier body is colon!

Mouse 1

This one we are pretty sure is a boy because of his 'boy bits'.

Mouse 2

I think this one is a girl as I don't see any 'boy bits'.

Mouse 3

No 'boy bits' on this one either. But I still don't know.

I would appriciate ANY help you guys can give me. I don't want any more baby mice!

Since the boys are obviously growing up, should I separate them from their mom at three weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 07:12 PM

It's been a while since the last time I did this, but I think that mouse 1 and 3 are boys and mouse 2 is a girl. They should be with the mom till 4 weeks. I hope that helps!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 AM
laugh often

if you plpace a water dish or something of that nature, you can wait for them to "perch" on the dish and the boy bits will be more noticable. Sometimes males can suck their parts in until they can pass for female. But this way usually helps alot of people who are just learning how to sex mice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else care to take a guess? I need to know in just two days or so. I rechecked mouse 3 and it still doesn't show any 'boy bits' at all. A big thanks to Padfoot and Mousey for their help and advice!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 PM

I'd say #1 is the boy and the other two are girls. Have you googled it to look at pictures? Maybe that will help.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I've only ever had rats, but to me it looks like 1 and 3 are boys, while 2 is a girl.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

An easy way to tell, is look for nipples. Males don't have them. Look for boy bits and then look for nipples to verify. I think you're right so far though. If they're already showing, you need to separate them now!

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 12:42 AM

http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/sexing.cfm<< that might help. All like the person above said you cna just check for nipples.