Shaved rats?!? o_O - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Shaved rats?!? o_O

Completely unique and weird situation!

My husband's friend found a beautiful boxer pup and brought it to our house. I was very wary but he assured me she had been to the vet and the bald patches on her were from "itching from fleas".

I still washed my hands and what not between pets.

But THEN the friend comes up to me while I had one of my rats out giving her, her meds and he pet her!

Anyway, now she has ringworm and I have ringworm and my vet confirmed this and gave me meds.

She said it is uncommon for rats to get it because they have such dense fluffy fur.

Which is where I run into my problem. She said a lot of rats when they get it do not have large bald spots like other animals and this is how Puk is.

I am having a really hard time getting to the skin underneath to put ointment on it.

Would I be able to shave my rat down with my husbands beard trimmer? (Obviously cleaning it very well afterword.) And I would only do her back half and not do any nooks and crannies because that would be way too hard and stressful for the rat.

It is a very small, trimmer and pretty quiet. I had it on around her to see if this would even be possible and she didn't mind the sound at all.

The room they stay in is our computer room and is the toastiest part of the house and they sit up on a table and I am in Texas where it is still up in the 90's.

Would this hurt her at all as long as I kept her out of all drafts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

If you have no other options,then go for it.
It won't hurt her.I have never shaved a rat before,but have had naturally hairless ones.My cousin shaved her rats before (I forget why) and they were fine.Just keep her warm and out of drafts and sunlight.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I dont know about that. But i know that rats and humend can pick up any thing commen or uncommen. I ushally tell people to please wash their hands before handling them and they had no problem. When I had a rodent Fest for our local fair all the kids and adults stood in line waiting to use hand sanitizer before handling and animal and afer each one diffrent or the same. Since all mine are together it dont matter but when I have a sick one or babies I wash them. BUT I would ask your vet about the shaving.
Diamond
PS hope she gets better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

your vet would probably shave your rat if it needed surgery or any special need that means to get to the skin and see it properly.
I think you can do this no problem. Rats who get tumors removed get shaven.
Just be EXTRA careful because I am not sure how well you will kill the ringworm from the beard trimmer,all those little teeth it has and all... make sure u dip it in rubbing alcohol or something that will kill everything for sure!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

That was my plan, a nice big, long dip in some alcohol and maybe some peroxide. LOL
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

yep!
I do wildlife rehabilitation, and if I was you, i would shave the rat. It will make your life easier, and if it has hair on the rest of its body and you're in texas (and it has a cozy bed), it won't be cold, don't worry.
you're gonna have such a big disinfecting job! all the cloth stuff the rat has been on since it caught it, the cage etc.. ouff. good luck!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Rodentologist

Really it would make more sense for your vet to give you an oral antifungal than for her to make you shave your rat! We typically use Itraconazole on small animals like rats and guinea pigs with fungal problems.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

She didn't recommend I shave her. I just thought it might be easier that way. I worry about giving oral medications because I am very paranoid about them having a bad reaction.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Rodentologist

Err, they're just as likely to have a bad reaction to a salve -- they can just lick it off of themselves. I've never had a rat have any sort of "bad reaction" to a rat approved medication.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I would definitely use the oral meds for your rat, you are sure they are getting the right dose that way.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I used topical treatment for a rat when he had ringworm with very good results. He was a double rex and it was much easier to get to his skin. My vet told me that oral antifungal medications can be hard on rats' gastrointestinal systems. A healthy rat can handle it fine, but mine at the time was young and sickly when I first got him, so my vet recommended against it. I don't see a problem with trimming her hair to apply the cream if you choose to stick with the topical.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

One of my rats had a respiritory issue and they put her on a rat approved antibiotic and she went off her food and I had to start hand feeding her.

This is what I want to avoid, side effects.

I know the the ointment doesn't have side effects because she has been on it for a while now and has had no issues.

I prefer a known medicine outcome to an unknown.

As the ointment is also rat approved and her thin spot is high up on her back between her shoulder blades, I kind of prefer this method. And seeing as she will be in the rattie special care cage, it is VERY unlikely anyone will be eating it since she will be alone.

I will be shaving her down this weekend if it hasn't cleared by then.

It will be kinda funny looking though, since I am only going to do a little spot around that area. It will be like a little bald saddle. XD

Kind of a reverse of the cuts some horses get that are in sporting events.

Last edited by HouseFull_O_Fur; 09-29-2009 at 04:07 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Rodentologist

I'd definitely recommend using a probiotic in conjunction with antibiotics in your rat, as it does help ease the process, although respiratory infections in general will cause inappetance in small animals.

There's no such thing as a medicine with absolutely no side effects -- simply one you haven't had a side effect reaction with. Aspirin kills plenty of people every year, and yet no one would consider it dangerous.

We've had a lot of problems with the salve completely clearing up ringworm, but maybe you'll have better luck!

Tags
ringworm, shave