Should I get a rat? Or two? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 10:58 AM

And Dragon, I had no idea!

Congratulations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Alfalfa and the new fella, also Click, are doing really well, thanks. What great pets. And just as importantly, my girlfriend as well as my daughter's mother are fond of them as well so they are able to travel a bit with my daughter and don't have to be left alone quite as much when I am gone to work. Heck, even my mother didn't get creeped out by them and we were able to take them for a walk on Sunday with her and her Jack Russel (shoulder rides).
Training tips, anyone? Recommendations for additions to their cage. Right now they have two levels, a toy caboose to crawl in, a paper towel tube to squeeze through and a larger cardboard tube that alfalfa likes to get solitary time in. I want to make sure they don't get bored.
Aspen is their bedding and I don't recall the antibiotic as it's at my ex's. They both seem to be in very good health though I do hear the occasional sneeze. I hope that doesn't mean trouble.

greg
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
I disagree slightly as rats can live alone if they have to as they adapt aslong as they have a lot of human companionship and i mean a lot they can live quite happily alone. But rats are better of in pairs or small groups as they are social animals and crave attention or company of one sort of creature or another

I can't top any of the advice that has been given as it has been spot on

the only incident where I had a rat who lived alone and was fine, was a rat I hand raised from a baby. she was 2 weeks when I began feeding her (the pet store sold the mother as a feeder, obviousyl the babies were NOT weaned yet).. she did NOT get along with other rats, and instead had free range in my bedroom. I'd wake up in the morning to her sleeping in my shirt curled up.. and during the day she'd eat with me from my plate. she was even litter trained.

I took her literally EVERYWHERE in a weird looking purse/fleece/pouch thingy and honestly that's the only way I'd know to keep an animal as social as a rat happy.. and content with constant attention.. my college professors all knew and loved her, and my classmates either loved or accepted her. once again only time I knew of a rat who was happy without other rats...

I have a male right now who's VERY territorial and needs neutering.. but eventually he will be kept with the other boys again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 05:29 AM
red

Hi there, I had a hooded rat from the age of 7 weeks, she was on her own but I used to get her out every day, eventually I would leave her tank open and she would get in and out on her own. She would spend time asleep in our bed too. Rats are "very" social animals, and love attention, if there was going to be someone at home all the time then I would suggest just getting the 1, but as s/he will be alone some of the time then 2 would be a better idea. You can tame 2 just as easy as 1 but they won't be as social with you as they would be if alone. When you are at home try to get them out as much as possible though. They live for about 2 1/2 years but are worth it. We now have 2 Degus, they are also very social animals, hopefully I will be able to tame them to the standard I had Bonnie, But they are "very" fast. Really cool pets if you want to be a bit different.

Enjoy your Rat/s

Red
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:10 PM

My housemate and I have two gerbils and one rat. Doyle (the rat) seems quite happy though there are no other rats in the house. He gets out for at least four or five hours a day and spends time with both my housemate (mommy) and I (auntie) and even gets along fairly well with the gerbils (Hamlet and Depp) although he was rather frightened of the last one. When he goes home for holidays to my housemate's parents he gets the same amount of attention from her family and interacts with her cats (one of whom is afraid of it) and her dog.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Adolescent Pup

I was constantly told by experts to get two at once. But, I didn't listen. Of course I have two now, but get two at once. Take it from me. Quarintine was a nightmare, in fact the baby had some sort of desease, and because I couldn't have her in resident cage, she passed on because I couldn't noticed right way because she was far away in quarintine. So then I got an adult, and they don't get along as well as siblings or mates. GET TWO, AND GET TWO AT ONCE.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTamer
the only incident where I had a rat who lived alone and was fine, was a rat I hand raised from a baby. she was 2 weeks when I began feeding her (the pet store sold the mother as a feeder, obviousyl the babies were NOT weaned yet).. she did NOT get along with other rats, and instead had free range in my bedroom. I'd wake up in the morning to her sleeping in my shirt curled up.. and during the day she'd eat with me from my plate. she was even litter trained.

I took her literally EVERYWHERE in a weird looking purse/fleece/pouch thingy and honestly that's the only way I'd know to keep an animal as social as a rat happy.. and content with constant attention.. my college professors all knew and loved her, and my classmates either loved or accepted her. once again only time I knew of a rat who was happy without other rats...

I have a male right now who's VERY territorial and needs neutering.. but eventually he will be kept with the other boys again
I have fostered a few rats that for one reason or another couldn't live with other rats and they needed a lot of attention which some people can't give them but i do think its best to get two or more at once and i don't think anyone should ever keep a rat on its own intentionally as they love company, i always found its more the merrier with most rats

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 07:31 PM

I agree with the thing about boys being more cuddly. I've had a total of four girls and four boys over the years. NONE of my girls were social or playful with us, only with each other. It's alot of fun to watch them play together, but boys are much more fun to interact with (in my experience).

As long as there is more than one rat, they should have sufficient companionship to be alone for 24 hours. Just make sure that there is enough food in their dish and water in their bottle.

Tags
baby rats, female rat, litter train, litter trained, male rat, pet rats, pet store, social animals, vet care