Should I get a rat? Or two? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Should I get a rat? Or two?

Thinking seriously about getting a dumbo rat for my daughter. I have read that you should get a companion as they will get lonely without. True or not? Also, I am a firefighter who works a 24 hour shift so there will be times without anyone at home for a day at a time regularly. Think this will present a problem?

Thanks, Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Well, thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr
Thinking seriously about getting a dumbo rat for my daughter. I have read that you should get a companion as they will get lonely without. True or not? Also, I am a firefighter who works a 24 hour shift so there will be times without anyone at home for a day at a time regularly. Think this will present a problem?

Thanks, Greg

definitely two.. but be sure it's a same-sex pair!! Otherwise you'll wind up with about 20 baby rats EVERY MONTH!!!

Rats are VERY social animals and need to be kept in pairs or more.. only in VERY rare cases does a rat have to be kept singly, and most of the time it just takes work to get them to accept others (like a poorly bred territorial male you can neuter, or one who's been kept alone all their life can eventually live with others with successful introductions).

Especially if you cannot play with the rat all the time, you will need a companion for them.

Also there are differences in the genders. males tend to be much larger, more laid back and squishy. The boys are more of a lap pet. Badly bred ones with temperament problems won't get along.. but normally they do wonderfully together (I have 11 boys living in one of my 5 foot tall RUUD cages with two spayed girls).

Females are MUCH different than males. the girls are VERY hyperactive and bouncy, and are usually much more petite. I have a soft spot for girls since I started out with a female rat as my first pet rat 9 years ago. They tend not to stay still for very long and won't stick to cuddling for extended periods of time with you..

however, remember that there are exceptions to every rule... sometimes you get a cuddly girl, and other times you may get a hyperactive boy!

as long as the daughter plays with the rats and properly socializes them they should be fine.. they're great pets and I wouldn't trade my rats for the world. (hehe.. in fact I found out recently I'm pregnant, and I swear if my kid grows up wanting a hamster, there's NO way I'm letting him/her have one, LOL!!! they're getting rats and that's final!!! I'm going to be such a mean mother I know it.. but then again I doubt we'll ever be without rats.. so the kid'll grow up with them anyway)

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

rats can't live alone,that's a rule

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

I completely aree with Dragon and also want to add, remember that kids can get bored easy, make sure you are prepared to become this animals care giver if your daughter decides she has better things to do! Also remmember you will be financialy responsible for them. unless said daughter has a job, and maybe even then. You have to be willing to provide vet care, food ect.
Also read the board and I can also suggest ratsrule.com for advice on food bedding ect. i.e. no pine no Kaytee lol.
lastly good luck!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

We got two males. And we've already had our first tragedy.
We picked up Click and Alfalfa the other day. Click, black and white, never did seem to be doing very well, not really active and his eyes seemed a bit glazed. Not at all like the tan one, Alfalfa.
This morning I went into her room to check on the little guys and Click was dead. Since it was such a lovely day here today I was able to meet her after school with the rats. My poor daughter, 4, was so excited to see them, then so broken hearted to find that her favorite had died. She had me tearing up.
A bit later we took him back out to the pet store where the employee had been so much help. He remembered my daughter and was quite sympathetic, then helped her pick out another, checking to see that he appeared healthy. He also threw in an antibiotic just in case they litter had a bug or something.
After returning to her mother's house we had a burial for Click in the garden which helped make things better.
Other than our premature tragedy I think we are really going to be fond of the rats as pets.
Thanks.

Greg
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciana Mottola
rats can't live alone,that's a rule
I disagree slightly as rats can live alone if they have to as they adapt aslong as they have a lot of human companionship and i mean a lot they can live quite happily alone. But rats are better of in pairs or small groups as they are social animals and crave attention or company of one sort of creature or another

I can't top any of the advice that has been given as it has been spot on

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
I disagree slightly as rats can live alone if they have to as they adapt aslong as they have a lot of human companionship and i mean a lot they can live quite happily alone. But rats are better of in pairs or small groups as they are social animals and crave attention or company of one sort of creature or another

I can't top any of the advice that has been given as it has been spot on
i disagree,they can adapt with humans,but isn't the same as a rat to them... would you like to live alone?

My pets:

1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciana Mottola
i disagree,they can adapt with humans,but isn't the same as a rat to them... would you like to live alone?
Yes i would and love it I'm not saying its ideal to keep them alone but if needs must and you have too then they adapt rats can have incredible bonds with humans. I prefer rats to be kept in small groups or in pairs but if by some chance they have to live alone they can

Kirsty

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Yes i would and love it I'm not saying its ideal to keep them alone but if needs must and you have too then they adapt rats can have incredible bonds with humans. I prefer rats to be kept in small groups or in pairs but if by some chance they have to live alone they can
alright... that's your opinion, i doub you would like to live without your parents,friends,etc... if you could you're weird

My pets:

1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies

Last edited by Luciana Mottola; 03-04-2005 at 07:00 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i dont know if its nessicary but my rats get 1 hour of ppl time a day. i get them out on the couch EVERYDAY and play with them for atleast an hour, and i think some ppl would tell you that it is nessicary (sorry about my spelling....)

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
i dont know if its nessicary but my rats get 1 hour of ppl time a day. i get them out on the couch EVERYDAY and play with them for atleast an hour, and i think some ppl would tell you that it is nessicary (sorry about my spelling....)
my rats play on my bed atleats twice in the day!! they love it

My pets:

1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
I used to let mine out loose in my room as well once a day for over an hour at a time and they used to have some fun and games i can tell you

Kirsty

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

grer that is the problem with petstore rats! Sorry for your loss, what antibiotic did they give you???? What kind of bedding and food are they on?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 10:58 AM
I Own an Egg Pooper

Good luck in the future. So sorry about Click. I send lots of to you and your daughter. I hope the newest new addition will work out well, and CongRATs for choosing to get pet rats!

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...

Tags
baby rats, female rat, litter train, litter trained, male rat, pet rats, pet store, social animals, vet care