Sick Mouse? Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Sick Mouse? Help!

Hey everyone. I've got a cage of four female mice that live happily together. However one day, I noticed that one of them looks very different, and has no energy at all. She used to be one of the most hyper of the pack too. She kind of walks with a hunch, her eyes are rather squint, and her coat is not smooth... it's as if someone took hairspray and gave her some human spiked hair. I'm really worried, because of all the four, she's the one that came right to me when I'd put my hand down in the cage to interact with them.

I've owned hamsters/gerbils/mice all my life, and have never seen this before.

She eats, drinks, and sleeps. Just like a cat.

As a matter of fact, I just held her about 15 minutes ago, and she just sat there. She felt skinnier than usual as well. Plus, shes young! I'm very worried.

The other three mice are just fine, and are just as active as ever, and seem pretty healthy.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong with her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:28 PM

You need to go to a vet. Right now. Sudden changes in mood and behavior usually signal a serious health problem in animals. It could be a URI, which is the most common problem with rodents, and you vet will prescribe antibiotics. But you need to take her to a *qualified* veterinarian as soon as possible.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Do you think whatever it is, it could be contagious?

I'm new to my area so I need to find a vet here. Plus, I'm a broke college student, so I'm hoping things wont be too expensive.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
Do you think whatever it is, it could be contagious?

I'm new to my area so I need to find a vet here. Plus, I'm a broke college student, so I'm hoping things wont be too expensive.

Thanks for your help.
Only the vet is going to be able to diagnose what the mouse has and if it's contagious. You really need to locate a vet asap--rodents go downhill fast.

If you post your area, maybe someone can help you find a vet.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:57 PM

I found an exotic vet by calling my regular dog/cat vet and asking for a recommendation. I sympathize with the broke college student dilemma but having a pet means you need to make sure you have the funds to do something in case one get sick. Most vets can set up some sort of payment plan if you are really struggling to pay the bill.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenishaS View Post
I found an exotic vet by calling my regular dog/cat vet and asking for a recommendation. I sympathize with the broke college student dilemma but having a pet means you need to make sure you have the funds to do something in case one get sick. Most vets can set up some sort of payment plan if you are really struggling to pay the bill.
Oh, no. That must have come off wrong. I didn't mean it as I got the pet and wasn't aware of the responsibilities. I'm not that naive. I just know how some places can really inflate prices.

I found a place that I'm going to take her to tomorrow. Thank you guys for the advice/support.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Good luck and keep us posted!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
illness, mice, sick mouse