sick rattie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 04:27 PM
Abby

Unhappy sick rattie

Hello everyone
I have a sick rat that I could use some advice on. She has a respiratory infection that doesn't want to get better. I bought her from a breeder and she got sick within the first couple of days Has anyone had to deal with this problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 06:14 AM
Abby

Smile thanks Ratstalker

I have echinachea and hadn't thought of using that how long would I use it for?
She and her playmate went to the vets a week ago Saturday and they are on chloramphenicol palmitate twice a day since that. Her playmate is fine now and at first she seemed to improve also but now she is still stuffy (better than she was). I called the vets yesterday and she said to continue it until today and then stop that long term doses of it could be toxic. I worry about stopping it when she isn't well yet

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 07:11 AM
Abby

Thumbs up thanks for the replies

The recommendations wouldn't offend me at all!

It seems to me that years ago I bought the ornacyn to treat a gerbil I had and it worked She is off the medicine right now at the vets recommendation so I will see what the next few days brings then maybe start her on that. I will suggest it to my vet also. I just think she should be well now and she isn't 100% yet. I guess she could be sick all her life then?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:19 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Allexotics is this ornacyn for just Uri or can it be used for any kind of infection and would you recommend it for hamsters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:49 AM

LOL, RatStalker, I know someone, also, who lets her rats clean her teeth
Probably the same person LOL!

~Nancy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 06:37 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

THanks allexotics for the info.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Herp Nerd

I recently lost a rat to a respiratory infection that just didn't get better. The owner turned him over to me, he was sneezing, weezing, and hacking. His eyes were watering and his nose was running.

My vet treated him, but he was too far gone. Its definitely not something you want to let go on the off chance that it may just get better by itself. I can be caused by any number of problems... but mainly I would attribute it to substrate problems... and maybe a drafty cage. Need to address everything so it doesn't come back again after treatment.

Hope she does better.

Rav
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Sorry for your loss Ravnos

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2002, 06:42 PM
Abby

Lola

I just wanted to update that Lola is all better. I just posted her picture in the caption contest. Thanks for all the positive thoughts!I didn't give her any more medication I took the vets advice and just kept a close watch on her. She is fine now

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2002, 05:12 PM
showbunny

Just by reading these posts I have learned so much more about the use of meds on rats!Thanks every body !I now know where I can come when I need info on my rats when and if they get sick.

Tags
respiratory infection