Sick Zmei. Advice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Sick Zmei. Advice?

Zmei ratty has started having respiratory issues. It started as a few sneezes on Tuesday, and Wednesday morning, I thought I heard a little rumbling in his lungs when I ratphoned him. He's 337 grams and 12 weeks old. Starting Wednesday afternoon, my vet put him on .18cc of Doxy and 0.1cc of Baytril 2x a day.

Today's Saturday and he's noisy and sneezy when he gets excited and sniffs at things, and still has that rumbling in his chest. He's sleeping a bit more than usual but when he's awake, near as I can tell he's eating normally, and is playful and curious with his cage buddy and me. He'd lost a gram in weight since I weighed him Wednesday. I have him eating his soy yogurt with ecchenaca (sp) and goldenseal added for immunity. He is in a warm quiet place with low stress.

Am I doing what I should be here? Is it unusual that his breathing issues don't seem to be responding yet to his medication?

I'm calling his vet on Monday when they open, but is there anything else should know/can be doing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hi Storyseeker,
I am SO sorry Zmei is not feeling well.

I don't really have any magic miracle answer for you but I still wanted you to know we are here for you, and at least post something to tell you that you are not alone with this. It sounds like you are doing all you can for Zmei until the vet sees him after the holiday.

Maybe his meds will start kicking in better, I hope? At least he is in a low stress, comfy environment with a super mommy to look out for him, so that is at least something, right? I hope he will be fine and that the vet can give you some good options for him. Give him kisses from me and we will be thinking of him!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:35 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

It takes 4-5 days for some response to the abs most times. You probably started him on Wednesday night, so Saturday night is really only 3 days. By Monday you should see a response or not.

What are the concentrations of the doxy and the baytril and I can double check your dosages?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Okay, pfew, thanks Lilspaz, that is a bit of a relief. I was just hoping that it would just take a little longer. I just hate seeing him sick.

Concentrations...Um...the receipt from the doctor says "Doxycycline/Vibramycin Syrup Batril oral 3.23% solution" I'm assuming both are 3.23 solution?

And, thanks Vladina for your good feelings to us. Zmei sends many kisses to go with my hugs. As you well know, it's hard hard hard to watch these kids be sick.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 12-26-2010 at 11:13 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

usually percentage relates to mg/ml...
for eg. 5% is 50 mg/ml injectable baytril
2.27% is 22.7 mg/ml

but NO clue about the doxy.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Ah, that makes sense. I'll ask when I talk to the doc on Monday.

And..heh, I just saw your siggy. Shouldn't that read 'Anonymouse'?