Well, I called my vet today and asked if she could recommend someone that was experienced with mice. She gave me two names, and without coming out and saying "this guys is better" - somewhat led me to call one over the other. I called that vet - He is a "regular" vet but also specializes in pocket pets. I talked directly to him for about 20 minutes. He normally sees rats, hamsters and gerbils, but they usually get about 10 mice a year. He seemed quite competent and was very reassuring. He also told me that he generally likes to wait until the mice are about 6 weeks old to do the surgery...so I get to be creative for a couple of weeks between 4 and 6 weeks with coming up with ways to keep Gabriel from the females. Perhaps the hubby wouldn't mind a second cage for just a couple of weeks ... :-) One could only hope I suppose. The price, after reading what most people have been averaging, isn't that bad. He charges the same for all rodents - it's like $112.75. Phew! I had set a told myself that $100 wouldn't be too bad, so that's right on track for me! :-) He was also very impressed that I'd done as much research as I had and had a fairly good idea of what the procedure and related concerns were. (yeah for me! Brownie points with the vet!) He knows my regular vet and seemed to respect her quite a bit - and was very appreciative of the referral.
Thanks everyone for the advice and information!