single male rat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

single male rat?

My sister is trying to get me to take Sherlock, a rat that was given to her for snake food, but she's hesitant to feed. She was given four aggressive males that were deemed not suitable as pets. Sherlock is the last one left (others have gone to pet homes, etc.), and I really like him, but my mom really doesn't want me having rodents. I know that I don't have the time to devote to a single rat, and would only consider bringing him home if I thought it was possible to get him a buddy. I was thinking of putting two cages side-by-side, and letting them have supervised play until I decided it was safe to let them live together. Sherlock did beat up his brother pretty bad, his brother was even missing the tip of his tail. We let Sherlock play with Ghost (the male that my SIL is keeping), and they got along fine. They were only together for a few minutes, on my lap, but there was no sign of aggression from either of them.
Is it possible for Sherlock to get along with another male, or is he destined to be alone forever?

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Is he actually drawing blood? Most male rats will get a long with other male rats with no problems. Some WILL need more time to introduce them. I've read where some people kept at it for a year before they could get an aggressive male to take on other cage mates. If you have the money you could get him neutered and that will help him to be less aggressive.

*Missy*
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:35 AM

I agree...I think the best thing to do is getting him neutered. Good luck with him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I wouldn't jump straight to neutering. See if it's necessary first. Just take it slow. Get a very young male that won't be a threat. Males accept babies better than other adult males. Start out putting their cages together. Then start putting them together on neutral territory for a couple of minutes at a time. If they behave extend the time. Give your aggressive guy treats during his play time with you and the new rat so he associates it with something positive. When they've had some successful play sessions then clean and totally disinfect a cage so that it doesn't smell like either of them and put them in together on a day when you can stay at home and observe fairly closely. Remember let them duke it out a little. They're supposed to wrestle a little and establish dominance, just separate them if there's any blood.

If this method doesn't work, I agree neutering can work. I just wouldn't go straight to costly procedures until you know it's necessary.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 PM

Good luck with Sherlock!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i think your'e safe to intro him to another rat in time. i think it's rat instinct to be social. side by side cages works great. solo rats, although i have one, are hard to please

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 07:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

If you can't introduce another male (most rats will get along and some will accept another rat right away,while others take awhile) - then he will be fine,as long as you give him ALOT of attention.

I currently have a lone male,Ninja,who will not accept anyone else at this moment since his cagemate died.I am still working on it,slowly.He seems quite content though,despite being alone.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

well, last night I brought Sherlock home, and also got two new boys- Mycroft and Watson. I figure that even if I can't get Sherlock to live with them, they can at least have supervised play together, so Sherlock won't be completely alone. He's good when he's being watched, but if he's left alone with other rats, he does get violent. At this point, I don't think I'll ever be able to 100% trust him unsupervised, but I think that with their cages side by side, and with play time, he can still get some social interaction with other rats, and I think that's better than him being completely alone.

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 08:26 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yay! CongRATS!
We need pics.

Hope all goes well with them.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I think your right halfwaynowhere! I agree with the interaction thing that sounds good. I completely understand that when the rats are unsupervised they get up to stuff to, because I have the same problem, only it's not about fighting it's just stuff they know they should not be doing and places they are not meant to be going lol ( I do block of the places that I dont want them going, but the cheeky lil'things find a way lol)

Anyway congratulations on the new additions I'm so happy for you!
can't wait fo piccies of ya darlings!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Sherlock and me are completely addicted to the fruit flavored yogies. I'm working on training him. He ran away from me, I called his name and shook the container, and he came running back. I think he'll be easier to train than my dog!
I'm still letting the new boys settle in, they are shy, and don't really want to be handled right now. I'll post pics tomorrow, I'm too lazy to upload them tonight, and I want to try to get some better ones. Right now I just have pics of my holding each one individually, because they keep trying to run off, lol.

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens