Size issues - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Question Size issues

One of my rats Noah is much smaller than his brother Winston and i think i have found out why. Winston is a bully. Any recommendations for alleviating this problem with Winston stealing any food that Noah has?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 07:34 PM

I'd seperate them. I have mice, and I had 3 boys in a cage all brothers and Blaze was the biggest one, so he bullyed the other two, not so much Hidden Secrets but more Tiny, because tiny was small anyway.It got to a point where if I didn't remove the other two Blaze would kill Tiny. Its alright now Tiny is in a cage with another male because he doesn't like beening away from others but what I'm saying is remove Noah into another cage so he can grow big himself, otherwise Noah is going to get weaker and weaker and Winston may have a go at Noah by attacking him. Otherwise if you don't want to remove Noah just watch them, and when you handle Noah like play with him give him more food so at least he can eat more.
Hope it all goes well
Kind Regards Rhiannon
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice well i dont really have the option of seperating them. Not enough room to do so. But from now on im going to keep an eye on them and do like you said with Noah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:43 PM

You could try giving them two food dishes and see if that changes anything.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

either that or provide more food and give each one something...this way no one will steal the others..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

i did both of those things today i put one bowl on each end of the tank and gave them the same amount with the same things
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 12:27 PM

This is not an uncommon issue- many times the alpha rat will grow larger and be overall healthier and more outgoing than the cagemate. Providing dishes seperated is a good idea- also if they can have seperate sleeping spots- two hammocks, for example, you can always sneak a handful of food into the hammock for the smaller one. Another possibility, though, is they are not genetically brothers and are from different strains- ie. one comes from a line of much larger rats. Unless you know for certain they are littermates, this might answer for a large part of the difference in size.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

jennawing i know for sure that they are from the same litter. I think that maybe Noah is the runt of the litter but im not sure of that. Im currently i dont have any hammocks they are in a 20 gallon long reptile tank for the time being.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:23 AM
RAT ADDICT

I wouldn't seperate them,unless it became a really serious issue.Rats need other rat company.

I agree with the others,have seperate dishes.I have several rats in several cages and I have to have 2-3 dishes per cage,just in case.My males are generally pretty good together...it is the girls who squabble over a choice tidbit!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Mine don't bully, but sometimes they fight over food. They chase each other around the cage. After hearing a food squeaks (Jack is a HUGE baby...aka...sissy) I just give them 2 food dishes when I'm feeding "people" food.

*Missy*
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
My males are generally pretty good together...it is the girls who squabble over a choice tidbit!
Mine never argue over food. If I'm giving them a treat I either set down several peices (more than enough for one each) in the middle, or I hand them to them one at a time as they come to the door. They always take it, then run off into a corner to eat it by themselves and ignore what the others have.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nara
Mine never argue over food. If I'm giving them a treat I either set down several peices (more than enough for one each) in the middle, or I hand them to them one at a time as they come to the door. They always take it, then run off into a corner to eat it by themselves and ignore what the others have.
Haha...man,your lucky!Like I said,my males are fine...but the girls are little jealous bums!

Because I have so many rats,when I go to give treats,I make sure there is a piece for EVERYONE...but the girlies are weird (I say that with affection) and think the others have something better,because they are greedy and so then they will start squabbling over a poece,even tho there is plenty there!lol!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
food dishes