skinny mouse- help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

skinny mouse- help!

Jezebel has been losing weight since her psuedo-pregnancy. Her and Esmeralda never fight over food, and Esmeralda is not getting fat, so I don't think she's stealing all of the food for herself. But Jezebel is just so thin, I'm afraid she's going to die. I'm giving them extra food with extra sunflower seeds, for the extra fat, hopefully it will help. I don't know what else to do! she looks healthy, both girls are fairly active, but Jezebel is so skinny, i can feel her spine, which is definitely not good... any suggestions on how I can get her back to a good weight?

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

hhmm

I had mice for a while but never had any of them gt skinny like yours. I know you can give rats some Avacado (no seed, or leaves b/c they re toxic) and that helps them put on wieght. You can try that but I would google it, talk to your vet, or try and contact a breeder before you try it. I'm just asuming it will be ok for mice. Something else you can try is taking out Esm. and watching to see if your girl is eating at all, if she doesn't eat of course you can put Esm. back but if you don't see her eating I would take her to the vet. Sorry if I didn't help much, maybe a more mouse Savvy member will help out more.

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

hmm. yesterday was when I noticed she was too skinny. Today she's not so skinny, in fact, she looks almost pregnant! its impossible. How did she go from being almost emaciated to being big so fast? Esmeralda is just fine, so i don't think its from over or under feeding... she was a feeder, and her offspring had some health problems, maybe she's got something wrong with her, too?

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 04:31 PM
laugh often

bad offspring could be a sign of the mom or dad having poor health or it could just be her first litter esp. or if shes really young or old to be bred. You can try to give them kitten food dry or soaked in water. That'll give her extra protein if she looses weight again. I'm glad she seems to be putting on weight.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 08:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

Weird.She possibly do have health issues,if you mentioned her offspring have had some.It is weird how she was really skinny and then suddenly fatter tho.Are there males in the same tank?

Try giving her bread or even some baby food.Even a little dog food can help with the weight.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

right now its only Jezebel and Esmeralda. I don't plan on breeding these mice ever again, so Max is in his own cage. I'm so worried about her, and with mice being nocturnal, it doesn't help, lol. They sleep most of the day, and I'm constantly checking to make sure they are just sleeping, and not dead. Jezebel is bathing Esmeralda right now, its cute. I don't want to bug her right now to see how she's doing, she looks okay, though. I'll check on her weight later.

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens