Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Skrat's Surgery....(pics)

5K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  Samantha 
#1 ·
Today she went into surgery to get that huge tumor removed, I was soooooooooo worried, she went in the morning, and just two hours ago she just came home. I wanted to show some before/after pics..

these are her before pics, these are from about a few days ago...

as you can see her tumor is on her left shoulder ..

this was taken last night before surgery...

and here are some pics two hours ago...

i allowed her to eat her favorite food, you can tell she's my Polish rat bc she loves pierogis..:D

See less See more
#28 ·
One special thing about this forum is that you really start remembering people and their pets; Miss Skrat is no exception. I've enjoyed her antics, and I really have to say my heart just skipped a few times when I read this. I feel so much for all of you when I read posts of this nature. I'm so very sorry.

#31 · (Edited)
OMGOSH...I am SO sorry...:console: how is his friend the mousy?? :cry: It is exactly how I felt when Nibbler my first rat died...he is still with me now and the memories still haunt me, I MISS Nibbler SO much and never forgot him!!

#35 ·
thanks, it helps me deal some, this forum is so kind, like a big family..

#36 ·
Owie! Poor baby, she's a beautiful rat. I've had two rat's w/tumors. One girl got an operation, the other girl (my riddy) was so old the vet said he couldn't do anything. It is so hard when they get sick or hurt. I hope she heals quickly. Are you using any anti-bacterial ointments (i.e. neosporin) on her incision? We did, and it seemed to heal a little quicker.

#37 ·
I'm so sorry, (I feel silly, I'm new here and didn't realize there were other pages - I missed the message of her passing) It is really hard to lose a loved one. I've lost five out of my original seven (all withing a year) Three from cancer, two from an animal attack. You would think one would get used to it - but it is painful every time. Try not to beat yourself up too much for not being there. I felt the same way. The odd thing is, every rat who passed - even my buffy who died two weeks ago from what I think was a form of rat leukemea, passed while I was gone. She seemed seconds from death many times, but the night she went she almost seemed better. I think they wait until we leave, sort of like animals in the wild who wander off.

From the pictures I saw, she looked like she lived a rich, full life. A life you gave her. As painful as it is right now, try not to forget that.

#38 ·
Ohh please don't blame yourself about your sweet Skrat!!! Sometimes there is a hidden underlying respiratory problem that flares up after surgery, and it takes them quickly. :(
About you not being there, do not think she was alone. Most rats when they are dying go off on their own on purpose. I find most of my rats will wait til they are back in their cage before letting themselves go, it was probably her preference rather than your lack of caring. :(

Sometimes I think they are trying to prevent us the trauma of seeing them die.

She looked like an incredible girl, and you did the best you could in the circumstances. I now try to spay my younger girls (if I have the money) so I hopefully won't have to deal with soo many tumours and their tricky removals.
I am sorry you lost your beloved girl, she was a lovely PEW (my fav "colour")
((hugs))

#39 ·
lilspaz68 said:
Ohh please don't blame yourself about your sweet Skrat!!! Sometimes there is a hidden underlying respiratory problem that flares up after surgery, and it takes them quickly. :(
About you not being there, do not think she was alone. Most rats when they are dying go off on their own on purpose. I find most of my rats will wait til they are back in their cage before letting themselves go, it was probably her preference rather than your lack of caring. :(

Sometimes I think they are trying to prevent us the trauma of seeing them die.

She looked like an incredible girl, and you did the best you could in the circumstances. I now try to spay my younger girls (if I have the money) so I hopefully won't have to deal with soo many tumours and their tricky removals.
I am sorry you lost your beloved girl, she was a lovely PEW (my fav "colour")
((hugs))
thanks for the comfort, she was my first rat, and maybe thats why i love PEW so much, if i had known any better i would have spayed her, but i waited too long afraid of the risks, after this happened i immediately spayed Constantine, my remaining rat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.