Smelly boys ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Question Smelly boys ?

Well i have never really had this problem before because my rats where in their own room until a few weeks ago but when you walk past them or go near their cage there is like a poo musky smell its weird its not a strong urine its more of poo... i clean them out every 3 days i use newspaper at the bottom and shreadded paper in their beds but everytime i clean them out i wipe the shelves with baby wipes and the base of the cage aswell and the toys and baskets does anyone else have this problem ?? anyone know how to control it ??

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Yeah it's something I have a problem with to, but unless I clean them out everyday the smell just sticks. It could be bacteria staying on the bars, I have this prblem where Rayray backs up against the bars to pee and you just can't get rid of it of the bars!
The smell probebly won't go away unless you clean them out every one-two days because males are smelly unfortunatly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 PM

Yeah, my boys smell too. I think mine poo and wee on the shelves, the wooden toys, their little house etc etc. I haven't found an easy way to get rid of it but our cage is a real pain to clean out, which doesn't help. You can get nice lemony smelling pet cage disinfectant stuff, a good spray and a wipe can leave a better aroma. I think boys are just smelly by nature (and not just rat ones, hee hee!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Yeah my boys STINK!!! I clean the cage and bars every couple of days too but its still no good lol. Even when i have bathed them they still smell lol they are just stinky ratties! Try putting a few drops of vanilla in their water it helps mask the smell!!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:03 PM

Two of our boys just stink to high heaven, we had three in together that didn't come close in a week to the smell those two could make in a couple of days. Funny thing the smelly ones seem to still be healthy. The other three are the ones on Baytril at the moment.