So Excited (Breeding Success!!) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

So Excited (Breeding Success!!)

Yesterday Agatha (one of the brown and white bareback dumbo twins) gave birth to nine screaming pink jellybeans. Mother and children seem fine. Their daddy is Lecter, our cocoa and cream ruby eyed dumbo, so they should be some nice looking babies. Any minute now our other brown and white bareback twin should be giving birth (I don't even want to imagine the size of that litter because her belly has been bigger all along!.) Their daddy is Figaro, my personal favorite, very sweetest rat boy ever who is a painted hood brown and white dumbo. Those babies may not be as interesting looking but they will be soo sweet, as Agnes is also the sweeter of the two twins. She is very cuddly for a girl and she's so well behaved and smart. Every time I open the cage to replace food or water or clean it she darts out and runs around the room, then when I tap on the cage and say time to go home, she runs right back. If I take longer than usual she even checks back with me every couple of minutes to see if it's time to go home yet, such a good rat.

We also already have a pretty long waiting list, so they will all find great homes. I'm excited that things are going so well right off the bat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

OMG I'm soo happy for you congrats!!! Awww bet they're such sweeties and so very cute!
I always think though, that it's better to breed for personality than breed, so i'm glad you've picked the ones which are darling and the babies will be well tempered
I'd love to see piccies, are you taking any?
Good luck! Give mama rat kisses from me for being so brave!
x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I will be doing pics along the way. I don't like to the first couple of days though because that's always when mommy is really jumpy. I was actually surprised she got off of them long enough for me to count them already. They are going to have excellent temperament. The other pairing will too. I don't have any rats that are bad tempered. You can turn them all upside down, hold them still, have them around kids, etc. It's just that there's good temperament and then there's figaro. He's really exceptional!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Jird Jostler

I cant wait to see some pictures =]

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

OOooooooooo yay babies!! Cant wait for pics!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Are you going to try and handle them from day one or wait, because I know some people do so they are very tame, what are your plans?

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

That all depends on the mommy. With our rescue rat's litter we did handle everyone (very briefly and gently) from day two pretty much. They did turn out to be great babies (And friggin' huge just as a side note!) We were able to do that though because Genie was such a sweetheart and was very laid back as a mother. So far Agatha seems jumpy when we're reaching in the tank, not bitey or anything like that but quite jumpy, so for now until she has a couple of days to calm down I'm only moving her to count them and make sure we still have the same number. If she's like Genie once she gets past the first couple of days she'll get more relaxed. I certainly don't want to cause her undue stress when she's already nursing 9 babies!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Aww... Congrats. Both times my rats had babies they had 9. The first one I had 8 boys and one girl. The second litter I had 5 girls and 4 boys. I can't wait to see pictures. It makes me want to breed mine again, but I don't have a waiting list for mine and I don't want to breed and then not be able to keep them like my first litter. My second litter was spoken for.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I'm interested in breeding, but I really wanna increase my knowledge on that subject first

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yay babies!! *squeals* congrats on the the success! hehe I can't wait for pics

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 AM

Little update

Little update luvboyrats other girl Agnes gave birth to 11 healthy babies. What a good looking bunch of squeeky pink and red jelly beans. The mothers are very protective but we have been able to handle them a little at a time. They all seem to be eating ok and everything seems to be going pretty well so far.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

YAYA I'm so happy for you!
Good luck!!
<3

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well there was also some not so good news associated with all of this. I had them in a huge glass tank with a partition in the middle to divide the mothers. That way there would be no fighting over food and we'd know whose babies are whose. Overnight they somehow managed to break through the partition and combine all twenty babies into one huge nest. The positive of that is that they are helping eachother, taking turns, and veing very cooperative. The bad part of that is that all 20 babies look pretty much like pink jelly beans so there's no way for me to know what baby belongs to what mommy. I can verify that they all have excellent genetics, but which excellent genetics is another story
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

*ooops* ! thats a bit of a pickle! I hope everything goes well, and at least you've got some gorgeous babies!
good luck!
x

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:55 PM

Like she says that doesn't really effect our ability to verify they are of excellent stock it just limits our ability to use them in our own future breeding. We know they will be good but they can't be bred back to either father or mother's lines in the future since we don't know which father they came from. Oops. We might see if there are any remnants of marks on them from our first attempt to tell them apart but it got cleaned off within an hour and it didn't seem there was any remnant left.

But we should have 20 fairly sweet and oh so beautiful baby dumbo ear ratties. Awesome to be us.