So Sundae is sneezing... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Unhappy So Sundae is sneezing...

I think I'm cursed. Sundae is sneezing a lot. What is up with me and sick pets? I'm new to having ratties so I need advice from the PT rat people. Could she just have allergies? Or do I need to go to the vet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

What kind of bedding are you using? Sometimes rodents can have sensitivities to certain beddings

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
What kind of bedding are you using? Sometimes rodents can have sensitivities to certain beddings
You know Mandie, I was thinking about that. She has been on Carefresh all her life at the pet store, and I am using Aspen. Mike thinks its the Aspen because in the cage we were using before she was directly on it and there was some in her nesting box (we also had her in a tank with it temporarily). Now she just has a small amount of Aspen in the tray under the cage (she is not directly on it). I think I'll go get some Carefresh (before I panic) and see if she improves. She seems fine other than sneezing, she has clear eyes and nose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I have heard also that sometimes they sneeze when in new surroundings... so maybe it's just stress... I'd say change the bedding and give her some time. If she has clear eyes and nose, I guess it might be that, but watch out for other symptoms..

Dimaris

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
I have heard also that sometimes they sneeze when in new surroundings... so maybe it's just stress... I'd say change the bedding and give her some time. If she has clear eyes and nose, I guess it might be that, but watch out for other symptoms..
Thank you! I will try to remain calm *deep breaths*

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I would try the Carefresh too...some rodents just do better on it Also, make sure the ventilation in the room is good. That will help with the dust particles in the air. I would also give her some time...new house, new surroundings, different pet danders (cats, bunnies, mice, etc) she just needs to get use to the different particles in the air.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
I would try the Carefresh too...some rodents just do better on it Also, make sure the ventilation in the room is good. That will help with the dust particles in the air. I would also give her some time...new house, new surroundings, different pet danders (cats, bunnies, mice, etc) she just needs to get use to the different particles in the air.
Sounds good Mandie. Mice? No mice here. Not yet anyway! I have hamsters.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Sounds good Mandie. Mice? No mice here. Not yet anyway! I have hamsters.
Whoops! I got mice stuck in my head for some reason! Let's blame Carmen

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Whoops! I got mice stuck in my head for some reason! Let's blame Carmen
Yep. I was thinking Carmen when I read that!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
I read that too on one of the sites that you gave me the link to. I will keep a close eye on her. I hope it goes away. We have had enough respiratory infections around here lately!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Hey it could have been me...cats (well just cat), bunnies, mice....last time I checked I had all of those!!!
I hope sundae is just getting used to her new surroundings steph!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't worry too much its most probably the bedding as rats can be pretty sensitive. And if her nose and eyes are clear then i wouldn't worry too much but if it continues then maybe a trip to the vets might be in order as there are some ratty diseases which symptoms are sneezing but pretty rare but with what you had said then its bound to be the bedding and maybe the stress of the move. Try a change of bedding if its not going to stress her out too much and see how she goes and give her some time to settle in

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I hope Sundae gets better soon!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

It's usually just because of the new surroundings, so within a few days the sneezing might stop. A little bit of sneezing isn't too much of a problem, but if after a few days she continues sneezing a lot the first thing I would do is switch bedding, just to see if that's the problem. If that doesn't fix it a vet trip might be in order.
Also~ If you notice porphyrin (dry, red stuff on nose that looks like blood), don't get alarmed. A little bit of it is fine, but if there gets to be a lot then that's also a sign that she's sick. I only mention that so you have other things to look out for.

Hope Sundae starts feeling better soon!

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSouthPaw
If you notice porphyrin (dry, red stuff on nose that looks like blood), don't get alarmed. A little bit of it is fine, but if there gets to be a lot then that's also a sign that she's sick. I only mention that so you have other things to look out for.
I did notice a little of that coming out of her nose and eyes this morning. I freaked out but then read on a site that a little is normal when they are stressed. I haven't seen anymore of it and her eyes and nose are clear. She does sound like her nose is a little plugged. I'm switching the bedding tonight. Thanks so much for your advice! I will keep you updated.

Tags
pet store, respiratory infection, respiratory infections