Something to be concerned about? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Question Something to be concerned about?

Hi everyone. As you might know, I got my boys about two weeks ago, and they're now roughly seven weeks old. I have a question about some noise and behavior that they've been showing in the past couple of days, just to make sure everything is still ok. They were sneezing a little for a couple of days, and I removed their paper towel bedding and took out most of the litter (except for the litter tray, which they are now using perfectly!--Yesterday's News), and am currently experimenting with a few squares of fleece as bedding (which they don't seem to like too much). The sneezing has reduced quite a bit in the past couple of days, but I've noticed a few new things in their behavior.

Russell has been making what could best be described as extremely quiet chirps that sound like a newborn baby bird. These will last maybe ten seconds, and I heard him do it three times yesterday and once today. Both of the boys, yesterday and today, have seemed pretty restless and move around and yawn quite a bit when sleeping. (This might actually be pretty normal, but I'm hyper sensitive to their behaviors right now!)

Aside from that, they are eating, drinking and playing just as normal. When they're not sleeping, they are very energetic. All breathing sounds (aside from those few chirps from Russell) are clear and normal. No porphyrin, except for maybe a few small dots once in a while after waking up. Their coats are clean and not puffy, and they are not sitting or walking hunched up.

So, is this something to be concerned about?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I think I read someone say that rats sneeze in new environments so that could be totally normal.
My rat did it all the time when I first got her, she still sneezes once in a while, and a lot more when I bring her outside on my shoulder.

for the bird noise I dunno...
My rat yawns a lot too, I just think it's cute!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
I think I read someone say that rats sneeze in new environments so that could be totally normal.
My rat did it all the time when I first got her, she still sneezes once in a while, and a lot more when I bring her outside on my shoulder.

I just got my first two rats on the 5th and only Annie sneezes all the time, Jack not once since I brought him home.

Britany.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud USMC Wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:49 AM

My rat, Da Vinci, used to do those chirps. Does his body kind of shake or jerk while he does it? If so, they're the hiccups. Does he do it while they play? Or maybe while you're holding him? It never seemed to effect my rattys, so I'd try not to worry about it, unless it manafests itself into coughing or louder noises. Just watch it, but don't worry TOO much.

Sneezing is just how rattys get used to their enviroment. The smells in the petstore/breeders is just different from your room. I'm sure it would have been fine keeping that bedding in there (you sound like you're smart enough to know not to put pine/cedar in there )

Enjoy your rattys! I know how it feels to be worried about every little thing.

Last edited by Khodieylia; 09-07-2009 at 11:51 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

ohh that kind of chirp haha louna has the hiccups at least once a day...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
ohh that kind of chirp haha louna has the hiccups at least once a day...
Hehe, it was scary the first time. I thought he was choking!! But now, it's just adorable.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks for all your replies!
Yes--he DOES shake a little while doing it! It's good to know that there are other rats out there that do this... I guess I'm kind of freaking out over their health right now, since I just got them. Every time they sneeze, hiccup, chirp...you name it, I'm over there listening to them and examining them! They're probably getting tired of it!!

I'll try to post some pictures of them soon, now that I have enough posts!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:48 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
Thanks for all your replies!
Yes--he DOES shake a little while doing it! It's good to know that there are other rats out there that do this... I guess I'm kind of freaking out over their health right now, since I just got them. Every time they sneeze, hiccup, chirp...you name it, I'm over there listening to them and examining them! They're probably getting tired of it!!

I'll try to post some pictures of them soon, now that I have enough posts!
It's no problem - we totally understand. I'm sure every single rat owner has done it with their first rat. They're such wonderful animals and we want to keep them as healthy as can be.

Can't wait for pictures!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm glad it's nothing and you're reassured
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 02:07 PM

Thank you Breyer for asking about your rat. My hairless, Bella does the hiccup thing too. I'm glad it isn't anything urgent. Good luck with your new boys!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I do need to add something. Hiccups should be silent. You should see the hiccups and not hear them. Hearing a noise could be scarred lungs (not with babies usually) and an impending URI. Keep an eye on your chirping baby.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
I do need to add something. Hiccups should be silent. You should see the hiccups and not hear them. Hearing a noise could be scarred lungs (not with babies usually) and an impending URI. Keep an eye on your chirping baby.
>.< Yeah.. I just didn't really wanna say anything to worry them! But Spaz is right.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
So at this point would you recommend taking them to see a vet? They sneeze every once in a while, a few tiny bits of porphyrin maybe once a day after waking up, and I've heard Russell chirp four times and Stanley once (in the past few days). Other than that, they're eating, playing, look and sound normal. I just want to be sure I'm not going to scare them needlessly by taking them to the vet if they don't really need to go yet...

Also another question: How much do your vets charge per rat for a physical exam? I live near the veterinary school, and if I heard the lady right on the phone several weeks ago (before I got my rats) I think she said it was $80. Does that seem high?

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I wouldn't take them at this point, just be aware and watching for secondary symptoms

Some vets charge that much for a consult, but each area is different. Are you in the US? Vet prices are usually cheaper than here in Canada. My vet charges $65 for a consult/exam.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Ok, thanks for your advice! I am in the states, and I'm going to call around tomorrow to get some more quotes and to read some more reviews, just to be on the safe side in case they do need to go in at some point.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)