Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Spaying or Neutering rats..

14K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  VanillaRat 
#1 ·
I would like to know if anyone can provide me with info on spaying & neutering rats.
Like cost,risks,what to expect,how to care for the animal after healing etc...?

I think I *might* be getting 2 male rats,& if I do,then I would like to put them in the cage with my females (if they get along) but only if they are altered first as I highly doubt I could keep a bunch of rats while living at home.Dad has me on a pet limit now & he said I can't have anymore than 8 rats total while living here (he's not *scared* of them now& he even petted my females,it's just he prefers I don't get a bunch =) :giggle: So,unplanned litters are out ;) )
If it's really risky (I know theres some risk with all surgeries) I'll just keep them in a seperate cage.It won't be that hard to do.But since I'm getting a much bigger cage,it would be nice =)

P.S. I know neutering has less risk.But I would like info on spaying as well,just for reference.Thanks!

#3 ·
but therev is a 50/50 risk ofit not making it.becuase they are soo tiny (compared to other animlas) a friend of mine just had her Ferret spayed and he passes away, but thats like with any animal there is a chance of it not making it, but i have herd of more survival stories than bad. but i think it is a good idea, as statted, it helped reduce tumors, and we dont want babies! lol

#4 ·
isoflourine is the anesthesia to use, dont get ripped off bc the vet feels its "unnecessary"- it will help make the odds better, its more expensive, but worth it

spaying rats costs way more than neutering males, you really have to look around, most vets will not want to do it bc its difficult due to the size of the female and its invasive...and the cost could be 150-200..easily..i am currently going to spay my female rat, bc yes it really does reduce mammary tumors by up to 80% or so, but only if she is young enough, since the older she gets, the more probability there is that she already has a tumor developing

i have had my own bad survival story...but the vet didnt use isoflourine, and Skrat was in a bad state with her multiple tumors....to prevent this tragedy from repeating itself, i m going to spay my other rat, Constantine

if you find a descently priced vet, you could get the boys neutered for around 30 a piece...but good luck finding a vet, mine was very hard to find

#5 ·
Neutering males is alot easier and safer to do then spaying.I would go with neutering.However everyone is right,spaying with help prevent tumors.

My vet will spay/neuter rats and it costs the same as neutering/spaying cats.There is ONE other vet who does it,but I hear it is more expensive there and I have never had him see my rats,so I have no opnion of him really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.