Special needs mouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Special needs mouse

Well, I was at the pet store today to get dog food and I was looking at the animals and noticed this tiny tiny mouse walking a little funny. I went to the counter and asked the lady what was wrong (this pet store I go to is a very reliable one.) with her and she told me she had water on the brain, a hump on her back and was deaf. Well of course I knew I had to get her, and as I was walking to the counter the lady told me don't worry about it and didn't even charge me for her or the dog food!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Playful Pup

Congrats on the little baby I am sure she will make you very happy
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

Youre awesome. love to see some pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Is she a baby? Did they mention hydrocephalus (water on the brain)?

If so your baby may have a very short life, but you can make it the BEST life ever for how long she has

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am SO glad you got this little special needs mouse, good for you! I would have done the same thing if I saw that poor baby in the pet store. Like Lilspaz said, you can give her a very good life full of love and care for however long she is around. I am so happy to hear you took her.

Let us know when you have a name picked out for her and we would love some pictures. Can you take her to the vet to see if they can help with any of her problems?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
Is she a baby? Did they mention hydrocephalus (water on the brain)?

If so your baby may have a very short life, but you can make it the BEST life ever for how long she has
Yes she is a baby only about 3 weeks. Yes the lady did mention it and its what drove me to get her even more.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
I am SO glad you got this little special needs mouse, good for you! I would have done the same thing if I saw that poor baby in the pet store. Like Lilspaz said, you can give her a very good life full of love and care for however long she is around. I am so happy to hear you took her.

Let us know when you have a name picked out for her and we would love some pictures. Can you take her to the vet to see if they can help with any of her problems?
I will try and give her the best of everything I can. Her name is Cinnamon, I will have pics very soon.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:39 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Cinnamon! What a great name! Can't wait to see pictures of your baby girl!

I am not knowledgeable about mice as I have never had them before, but is it normal for pet stores to have mice as young as 3 weeks old? It sounds so young. Shouldn't mice still be with their mothers at that age or no? I have no idea so I was asking. I keep thinking about poor 3 week old Cinnamon, with no mom around. Or was she with other mice?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
Cinnamon! What a great name! Can't wait to see pictures of your baby girl!

I am not knowledgeable about mice as I have never had them before, but is it normal for pet stores to have mice as young as 3 weeks old? It sounds so young. Shouldn't mice still be with their mothers at that age or no? I have no idea so I was asking. I keep thinking about poor 3 week old Cinnamon, with no mom around. Or was she with other mice?
Mice mature sexually faster than rats. Still sounds early to me but you know petstores.

Aww a hydro baby. You have your work cut out for you.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ahh, I see, thanks Lilspaz. I just learned something new about mice, so there ya go! I adore mice (part of the rodentia family that I love so how could I not love mice too?) but I have only had gerbils and rats so I had no idea about mice maturing faster. Makes sense.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yes she is very young and I don't generally like taking them away from their mothers that early but she was with her siblings and mother in the cage and the mother wasn't taking care of her properly. She is just a little miracle girl, she adores being held and petted. Right now I have her in a cage with her sister Possum who is almost playing like her nurse, grooming and cuddling her.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am SO glad you posted that! I was imagining a little 3 week old baby mouse all alone in a tank, and added to that her physical problems, it just about made me cry. I am glad she was with her siblings and mother, even though mom did not seem to be taking care of her. And it made my day to read that Cinnamon is being nursed and cared for by her new sister Possum. That is GREAT! A happy ending for little Cinnamon! My husband will be glad to hear about Cinnamon's new buddy too. His face just fell when I told him about her. He will love knowing she has a good home now and a sister to cuddle with.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Can you get another sibling as well? Possum may be alone sooner than later :/

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have several other mice for her to bond with. I have the perfect mouse colony set up of very docile females.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That is great to hear, I am glad you have a female mouse colony to keep your new additions cozy and happy.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Tags
mouse, special