Spiney Mice with Babies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Question Spiney Mice with Babies

Hello Everyone! I hope someone can help. I am a preschool teacher, and as a surprise, I purchased two spiney mice for my four/five year old class. Well, just short of a month ago, Millie had three babies. The parents of the child who took them home for the weekend seperated Mickey and Millie. How long do I need to wait before I put Mickey and Millie and the three babies back together? Also, Mickey is getting fat, and biting; is he "depressed" since they were seperated? Did they need to be seperated? Do I need to seperated the babies from mom, and if so when? I also promised two to the child whose house the babies were born. Is there a seperation process? Mom only wants to take one, would this be okey, or do they need to be in pairs? Any help would be wonderful! Thnak you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Newborn Pup

Have you considered that putting them will produce more babies?
I have heard that the longer you seperate mice the harder it is to put them back together, but I am not sure that this is true when they are not same sex. This is a site with a species information on your spiney mice, as a teacher you may find interesting.
http://www.press.jhu.edu/books/walke...ae.acomys.html
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

if you have a male and a female there will definally be babies. i wouldnt put them back together but on the other hand its not natural for them to be alone. they are very socail. having had a litter of spinny mice i know that the mature quickly. when they start eating solid foods it should be fine to put the male back in, if you decide to do so.