Spiny Mice Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Spiny Mice Questions

I just adopted two 5 month old male spiny mice yesterday. When they arrived at my house, I noticed one had bite marks on his tail and back. His ears are also pretty chewed up, but they're healed so I'm assuming that happened quite a while ago. The person I adopted them from said they have been together since birth and have never fought before.

Is it possible that the stress of the drive caused them to start fighting? Or do you think she was incorrect and they have been fighting for quite some time since his ears are pretty torn up. The poor little guy now has a ton of bite marks on his tail. I was told by one spiny mouse breeder that I contacted that I shouldn't separate them unless there is a very serious injury to his back or face, and that if it's just tail and ear biting, to leave them together.

What should I do? I feel horrible for the little guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

All you can really do is watch them to make sure they're not fighting. Healed scars are OK but if you start seeing blood, that's not good.

Males don't always get along so keep a close eye on them. Make sure they have plenty of room, the main reason spinies fight is because they're kept in small enclosures. They need a lot more space than "regular" domestic mice.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

UGH! The problem with spiny mice is that I keep getting conflicting information. Everyone says something different, and I just have no idea what to do. I really wish there was more information about them out there.

There is blood on his tail. He has been bitten quite a few times. I was told on a different forum that with spinies, I should leave them together if they're only tail biting unless he got some serious wounds on his back or face. I also was told that 2 males should be perfectly fine together unlike regular fancy mice.

They are in a 20 gallon tank and have plenty of room. They came in a 10 gallon, but I quickly upgraded today to a 20 in hopes that the fighting would stop. They seem to have calmed down, but I don't want anything to happen to the little guy. But I was also told that spiny mice don't live nearly as long if they're alone.

What I might do is get a tank separator so they can still see and smell each other without being able to fight. Do you think that would be a good idea? Otherwise, I have the 10 gallon all prepared with an extra water bottle and food dish, etc, if I need to separate them right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would give it a little more time and see how they do. The stress of a new home can cause fights and they usually settle down. But unfortunately, there are occasionally male pairs that just don't work out. Male spinies are much easier to keep together than male fancies but that doesn't mean every pair is compatible. Hopefully your guys calm down soon . Is there a lot of chasing? Are they cuddling at all?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

There only seems to be chasing every now and then. It's not constant and it's only late at night. They haven't cuddled even once since they've been here.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I got in touch with a spiny mouse expert 2 days ago, and he advised me to leave them be at the moment and see if things calmed down if they were just tail biting. This morning, there was even more biting and there was blood everywhere, so I contacted him again, and he said it was probably time to separate them. So now they're in their own tanks and they actually look a ton happier!

I got very lucky because they are incredibly people friendly. I didn't want to bother them too much since they were very stressed from their move the last few days, but today, I finally was picking them up and handling them and they were super sweet! Not a single bite, even from the "bully". I hope they will do ok on their own, but I might put a tank divider in so they can still see and smell each other. I just need a larger tank first.

Tags
biting, fighting, mice, spiny mice, spiny mouse