Starbuck has hurt paw! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Starbuck has hurt paw!

Hello! This is my first post on here! My pet mousey Starbuck has a hurt paw. It's her front right... it looks really swollen, and her little paw is limp. I had a mouse named Oreo, that had a similar problem... she had 14 babies, and after about a month, her whole back side was paralyzed. When she wasn't able to get around anymore, I decided to take her to get put down. She passed on the way to the vet's. I know she wasn't suffering for the most of it.... but I'm unsure of what to do with Starbuck. I will eventually take her to a vet, but right now, I'm having to deal with a sick dog (she's 12 yo) and a sick Mom (she's been in the hospital for months) , so I'm sort of just wanting to know what y'all think about it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 26.jpg (63.7 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question

Anyone out there? Any ideas?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Not much advice to offer except that you need to get Starbuck to a vet as soon as possible, right away. She is probably in pain and you don't want her to keep suffering.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Is she still eating, and drinking? Is she using the paw at all? Is it still really swollen? Sprains happen all the time (wired cage?) with rats, so why not with mice? We usually give an anti-inflammatory/pain med and try to restrict their mobility until it heals, but it can be hard to convince them of that.

Sprains and even breaks are usually just taken care of at home.

Can you put up a pic?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Red face

Thank y'all for your input! I took her to the vet today... cost me $50 just for exactly what you said, a swollen sprained foot. He gave me something to put in their water (he said it wouldn't hurt the other two) and that it should heal in a week or two.

Starbuck is now known as "The Mouse I Almost Died For" ... b/c I'm fairly new to mousey injuries... I didn't want to just wait... so I had to take her while it was snowing. Being in Georgia... it snowed for about 10 mins... and ended up icing over the whole county. I had to sit in 1 1/2 hours of traffic, and had to drive on a 2 mile windy stretch of road (which took 45 mins at least)... swirvin', slidin', almost hit a mail box, a car, a car almost it me, slid on the other side of the road about 6 times... I've never driven on ice before. I ended up pulling over in my subdivision once I made it, and walking down hills of ice... all while carrying her little travel case under my sweater. If this does not show how much of an animal lover I am... I don't know what would.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww, that is awesome! You ARE a bonafide animal lover for sure, heh heh! Starbuck is your baby and I know you would do anything for her if you are willing to almost kill yourself on icy roads to get her to the vet. And I am glad she got taken care of! I bet you are relieved now. She is lucky to have you.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

This morning when I woke up, she was at her food bowl just munchin' away. I'm so lucky to have all my little babies. I'm very relieved indeed! <3
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yay! It is always a great sign when your little ones are munching away at the food bowl.
You must be so relieved! I am very happy to hear that!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Starbuck passed this morning. I found her in her favorite place... the food dish. I miss her so much!

Scoo,
Zeva

Ginger

Puddin',

Boo,

Robo,
Pudge

RIP: Z, Moo, Ops, Oreo, & Starbuck, The sweetest mice ever!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Oh no! Poor baby! I thought she was doing better? Sigh. My little mice ladies when I had them would always surprise and dismay me with their fragility. Lots of hugs to you and poor little Starbuck.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh no!! Little Starbuck?? What happened?
I am so sad! I thought all was well? And you and Starbuck just braved the icy roads together getting to the vet. I am so bummed.
I am VERY sorry, Whiskers.
Please post a picture again of Starbuck if you have one, to remember her by. Sweet little girl...

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Here is the only really full picture of my sweet lil girl and one of her and Zeva sharing secrets ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lloyd & Mica Forever 160.jpg (59.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Lloyd & Mica Forever 163.jpg (70.3 KB, 6 views)

Scoo,
Zeva

Ginger

Puddin',

Boo,

Robo,
Pudge

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh Whiskers, what a beautiful girl!! Just the sweetest girl! And her sister Zeva as well.
I love the pictures, thank you for sharing them. My husband says he is sure that our boys Klausse and Wolfgang are currently busy showing Starbuck around up in Ratty Nirvana and giving her a fun tour. Lots of new mice friends for her to play with too. Have fun little Starbuck, we all love you.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Awww you are the sweetest Vladina <3

Scoo,
Zeva

Ginger

Puddin',

Boo,

Robo,
Pudge

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Part of the Pack

oh no whiskers! what happened!?

i'm so sorry!

i've been keeping track but keeping quiet since i don't know mice very well... i'm sorry boo

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

Tags
broken, leg, mouse, paw, swollen