Still no joy :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Still no joy :(

We decided to move the rats into a spare bedroom with lots of toys and boxes for them to play with.
Well its about the 5/6th day and they wont come out they seem more happier in that room they are jumping around playfighting as normal but i lifted them out and they run to their cage.
Twice now they have sniffed around for like 5mins but thats it.

I really did make a wrong choice about adopting these kittys i love them but look at the state my boys are in!!

I just feel as if they arnt ever gunna come out.
Then what they die of boredum?

Also im taking toto to the vet soon to see about his breathing.

All ive had is bad luck!!!

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Hello Earthling

Awww. Just wait a while and they might realize that now that they have a room for themselves and that you still love them. Give 'em some extra treats and spend extra time with them.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:28 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry your having bad luck.
They just need more time.Some rats need more time then others.Have you let them sniff the kitties???

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Van,
Yeah i let them sniff them once when we first got them and nothing happened they just came over to the cage and they sniffed and acted normal.

But ive tried my best to spend as much time with them right before i go to my bed i go in myself when everything is quite and SPOIL them rotten and sit and wait and wait.. they act like they are trying to come out but they can't.
Im going to order them some hammocks to try and make them feel nice.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:39 PM

Awwe, hun. I think they are playing you! Either that, or they can "feel" your stress of how worried you are about them and maybe they are mistaking that for "fear". We all know how perceptive our babies can be. Now, kittens are extremely smart and can be taught at a very early age and can be taught what "no" means. Mine know what NO means. But, when I brought my rats home, I never kept anyone separate. It just wasn't a problem. Everyone sniffed everyone and sure, the rats looked at me like "ARE YOU CRAZY!!!???" and they hid for a good while. But, after they got over it, they now enjoy taunting the cats daily. Now, I have my rats in a safe HUGE aquarium where the cats can't get them and they are safe, but they love visiting with my cats as much as my cats love visiting them. Maybe they can "sense" your worries right now a little more than you know. Relax sweetie. It will all come together. And, no. You did not make a mistake getting those two adorable kittens. They will fill your life with more joy than you will ever imagine. Trust me, Claire, there have been times when I have adopted a kitten and gone through little "anxiety" attacks of OMG, what have I done! Because I have upset the balance here at home with the other cats. But as soon as I relaxed, it all came together nicely. And, it worked out to be the best thing I ever did. Really, it's going to be o.k. So, take a deep breath, relax, and give those adorable ratties some time to relax too. It could take a good month or more. And they will be fine. But let the kittens in with them while you are around. The sooner the better. You are one big family now. >^._.^<
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM

Well, from my past experiences with rats. I had six girls and they were all TOTALLY different around certain animals. Some liked only cats or dogs or the fish tank. I totally agree with ^^^^^^!!! It's gonna take time. My first three girls were terrified of my little maltese at first but after a couple weeks they were best friends...Jumping and playing with eachother. What I did to kind of let them know Lola(my maltese) wasn't gonna hurt them was I put their cage on a shelf so they couldn't just go running back to it. I put them on my shoulders and let me lay under my hair(they felt more comfortable and safe under there lol) and then just lay there next to my dog. After a few days of sniffing and then running back into they're nest of hair they finally got used to her. If you don't think that they will get used to the kitties then I would just suggest keeping them outta the room so they can feel as comfortable as possible!! Hope it helped somehow!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Im sorry Hang in there and everything will work out
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

It is most likely their natural instinct coming out. Cats are natural predators to rats and the rats know that. IMO you shouldn't let the cats around the rats at all and keep them out of the same room. The rats are probably really stressed and when they do come out they smell the cats. Just give them some time and let them know that it's safe.

*Missy*
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah, getting rats used to cat smell....we're talking weeks, months maybe. be patient my dear. your kittens are so tiny. in terms of introducing them, your goal is to train the cat to accept rats, and vice versa. this will easily take months. patience young grasshopper

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

LOL thank you guys well guess what i have a surprise for the ratties!!
MY friend across the street has this HUGEEEEE guinea pig cage and i am attaching my old cage to that to make one big CAGE shes giving me it for nothing tonight!! so me and the OH is going to attach it for them tonight and i have new hammocks on the way aswell so hopefully this huge surprise will cheer them up!!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
yeah, getting rats used to cat smell....we're talking weeks, months maybe. be patient my dear. your kittens are so tiny. in terms of introducing them, your goal is to train the cat to accept rats, and vice versa. this will easily take months. patience young grasshopper
Not nessicarily!
My rats got used to my cat in a few days and I have had other rats in the past that were not even phased by other animals.It all depends on the individual rat.

I hope your new rats like their new cage!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 PM

"young grasshopper"! oooooh, I like your new nickname! we may need to make that one stick. hee hee. AWESOME, a new cage addition. . . means . . . NEW PICTURES! YEA! Hey, they are gonna love that. Can't wait to see the new addition all set up. That is too exciting. Just like Christmas. LOL. Girl, you always have something exciting going on. You're too fun.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys!
Charlene you are HYPER!! LOL
Yep loads of snaps snaps snaps
Just need to wait on the hammocks coming I have no patience

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:31 PM

Me? Hyper?