Still Pregnant... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Still Pregnant...

I'm posting on behalf of my sister, mittenthemouse; her computer's been acting up lately so she can't get online.

My sister bought two mice 5-18-08. She posted this picture on the 21st. You can see, the fawn colored mouse has a bit of a baby bulge already. In the picture she was about 5 weeks old.

She is now noticably larger, but still no babies. My sister has owned the mouse for 22 days now. We're just a bit concerned that there may be something wrong.

Any ideas???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lucy.jpg (57.6 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Here's a picture taken 5-25. You can see the bulge is more defined.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lucy2.jpg (54.5 KB, 24 views)
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

It seems like my mouse went 26 days before having her litter.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I wouldn't be too concerned yet. We were all worried about our rat Genie because they should go 21-24 days and on day 23 she still hadn't given birth. She did the next morning. Turns out she had probably become impregnated earlier the same day that we rescued her. (Hilarious comments about how great our timing is are not appreciated

Anyway as long as she's eating, doesn't seem rigid or in pain, moves as well as can be expected for her size etc I'd give it a couple of more days before I worried too much.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, we'll let you know how she does!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Jird Jostler

Pictures Asap =]

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 AM
RAT ADDICT

I agree.
I wouldn't worry yet.
But definatly keep your eye on her.

Also make sure to add extra proteins to the diet,otherwise she may eat her babies when they are born.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Still no babies! My sister has now owned the mouse for 26 days so she has been pregnant at least that long if not more. She's been spending most of her time in her little nest and something that looked like a huge contraction happened yesterday, but still nothing! At what point should I be concerned??
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 AM

Has the bulge grown, stayed the same or reduced?
Can you see nipples?
Is she active and eating well or does she look depressed and/or listless?

In my experience, if they started to show early in pregnancy, they carried a lot of babies and by the end of the pregnancy where looking like this

If she's still about the same and the nipples are not really very noticeable, she may be a little bit fat, not pregnant. Here is a pic of a fat male mouse:

If she's skinnier now she may have never been pregnant, had an abortion or have given birth and eaten the babies.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Jird Jostler

very cute pics =]

I'm Georgia,
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

She has not gotten any skinnier. She has gradually gotten bigger, but not quite as large as your first pics. She's got definite bulges but I'm not sure about nipples. She was pregnant (I think) when I got her so we haven't really bonded yet. So, I haven't picked her up to look at the nipples because I don't want to hurt or scare her. But I'll see if I can check them out today. She definitely looks more like the first mouse than the second.

And she is active and eating well. She eats everything I put in the cage.

I said it had been 26 days before but I dont know what I was counting... Today is actually day 25.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:54 PM

ok, active an eating well is good, give her some extra protein, like cooked egg or cat/dog food if you have available. We are at the limit quantity of days, she should be giving birth soon. Has she been building a nest? Does she has cagemates?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

We have been giving her scrambled eggs just about every morning. She has been working on a nest inside her little igloo since day 1 and her sister is in the cage with her.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 05:12 AM
Jird Jostler

awwww, she souds lovely.. my jird minnie absolutely adores her igloo, she aint gonna like it when she gets too big for it... she'll probabl find some way of getting into it.

I'm Georgia,
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Will It Ever Change?

well I hope for babies soon!!! come onnnnn babies! lol

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan