Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

still sneezing

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Nikki6496 
#1 ·
Disco's sneezing isn't getting better, even with the new carefresh bedding. how hot is too hot for a mouse? i want to get him out of the air conditioned room, because i don't think the cold air is helping. but during the day it's been in the upper 90's here, and i'm afraid he'll get too hot if i put him in a non air conditioned room. would he be ok in a hot humid room? would this help his recovery at all? if i don't see him getting better in a day or two, i'm going to take him to the vet. but, is there anything the vet could do to help? i'm trying.... :(

#2 ·
sorry i dont know much about mice
but carefresh made my boys sneeze super bad
if i was you i would but him on cloth or newspaper for a while. if he stops sneezing then you know it was his bedding. and i think he is just fine in an air conditoned room as long as he isnt near a vent.
sorry but i know the vets around here cant help mice. i kept mice for a while. and they wouldnt even seen it. yet they would see my rats. mice among other creatures can have heat strokes very easily. i think if he was hot.... it would make his breathing ALOT worse.

#3 ·
Hia. I have rats, not mice, but Bess (one of my ratties!) reacts badly to hot weather and had to go to the vets recently. The vet said any hot weather will definitely make any chest complaints worse.

Also, lots of my friends keep their rats in air-conditioned rooms, so I would imagine it's ok? I think getting too hot is a greater danger, but that's just my opionion, of course. If your mouse has something to snuggle into it can get warmer if it wants to, but too hot is just too hot, if that makes any sense! :confused:

I use Ecopetbed now (cardboard squares) which is totally dust-free. Not cheap as delivery is expensive (available from the net) but a bale does last ages!

Hope your little one is a bit better?

#4 ·
thank you both for your replies. disco has gotten much worse. i had to leave last weekend, and left him in the care of my mom, but when i came back i honestly didnt think he'd make it through the night. (he is a trooper though, since that was about a week ago) but his breathing is extremely heavy. the sneezing stopped, but it seems like everything else got worse. he sits in the corner of his caged, hunched up, panting really hard all day. he doesn't eat as much anymore, and his coat looks ruffed up and terrible. i got rid of the carefresh and switched back to paper towels. he's not even interested in running around outside of the cage anymore. i called the vet, and i was told to feed him jello water through a dropper twice a day. i have been doing that but seeing no improvement. other than that, the vet said there was nothing he could do. i feel absolutely terrible. i'm heartbroken.

#5 ·
Oh no, I hope he gets better soon. I had carefresh for my hamsters and that made them sneeze something horrible. I'm not sure about mice, but I switched my hammie to Aspen and his sneezing cleared up within the week.

I'm not so sure it is his bedding though. I'm not sure of what your vet said but I would keep him in the AC, just out of the breeze.

I hope Disco gets better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.