Storyseeker....You out there? How's the new kids? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Storyseeker....You out there? How's the new kids?

Was just wondering how your new boys were doing. Any new pics of them? I bet they seem to grow a bit more every day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Hey Despereaux!

No new pics at the moment, but they are coming around so beautifully. We had an exciting cage cleaning this afternoon.

Picture if you will me on my knees bent over the tub while snaking my arm into the tiny Martin's door with a scrub brush. One rat is sitting on my conveniently bent over butt , and another one is dangling precariously by the sleeve of my jiggling scrubbing arm determined to investigate whatever it is I seem to be doing to his cage, clinging not unlike a little urban bull rider to my elbow. I'm not sure where number three was at that moment. Probably hiding under the cabinet pondering the folly of his brothers.

How are the pirate queens? I haven't heard any stories of /yours/ lately. Mmmm?

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

LOL! Rats are better then tv any day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'm glad the boys are taking to their new home so quickly and comfortably.

My girls.....well.....one of them.... is NOT my favorite person right now. she is BAD!!!!!! The other 3 are wonderful and cause no problems, well no major ones. All Mary can think of is getting out of her cage. When she's out and free ranging, all she can think about is getting out of the bathroom.

As soon as I walk away from the bathroom and come back, I find her ON the bathroom counter, in the small travel cage. I have had to devise a way to keep her from getting up there. She's quite mastered the art of scaling the cabinet doors.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Mary, Mary quite contrary.

Jeffrey's showing those same tenancies. He's such a stinker. He balances it out by being the most personable. I have their cage up on a cabinet, and so far all Jeffrey does is climb to the top and wander around there. My house has one of those open floor plans (which I despise quite frankly, I prefer the tunnel and maze look of the houses from the 70's), which means we can't block off any room but the bathrooms. WHICH means I can't let them free range, or let him explore the top of his cage without me standing riiiight there.

I made a home made hardboard playpen for the boys. Jeffrey is already leaping the 3 feet to the edge @ 6 weeks of age. Eagle eye.

They also have started peeeeeeeeeeeing. They're such dribbly pee bombs despite me leaving some of their old bedding and litter in the cage after cleanings.

I'm already looking forward to them getting big enough to switch to my ferret cage acquisition. Cleaning this Martin's is going to be the death of me. I keep thinking I will need to take yoga classes so I can dislocate my shoulder to reach the corners of the cage.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'm glad to hear some practical views on the martins. I'm seriously considering either remaking my cage or getting a critter nation with the add on during the summer. Nothing wrong with the current one, but there are a few changes that I wouldn't mind having, but I don't think that I'd be happy with the critter nation. It would be a step down for the girls.

If i could get the dog to be a bit more comfortable around the rats that would really help my decision. He does NOT like when they wrestle and squeek. he goes fuss at them.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I like the portability of the Martin's, but if I get another one, I'm going to have it custom made with extra wide doors. The breeder I use had a really sweet martin's set up. She took two 695's and took off a side wall of each and attached them together, so the dimensions are 18d x 36h x 60w. She also got the oversized doors for the front, like they use for the flip tops. I'm not sure what she did for the drop pan, whether she made it herself, or got one from one of those mill breeder companies.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

cage claning can be a nip in the but at times to get thouse courners. I tear mine down that are ealy tore down but I hate the wire leaves trying to scrub them when its hard to get to them becuase they are all attached. I am thinking this summer to make some new ones that are easyer to clean and take apart or custom order some martins.
Rats seem to love to make trouble in a fun wat out of the cage. I have big carries I put mine in while cleaning then when done and all put back I play with them before they go back in. I have it to were almost all my rats as in all the girls from one cage or all the boys can be in the bath tub and bath room for out time to make it easer then only haveing so many out at a time. The older ones know the rutin and stick around and have fun were the younger ones or newbies like to hide or want to find places to get into that they are not supose to like the cubords and nock down stuff on top of my head. I had a mischief little one do that once thankfully it was only tolit paper. lol
I am glad you are enjoying them story. Rats really do make the day seem more fulfilling and when nothing good on tv is on they are more then happy to entertain

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.