Strange Symptoms - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Strange Symptoms

Last night my rat Scooter was hesitant to move around much. I had him out to play and he just hid the whole time, except when I was giving out treats. Then he just randomly started squeaking like he was in pain. No one was even near him at the time. He did it a few times. Of course I got concerned and he looked like he wasn't moving around well so I took him to the emergency vet.

After the exam and x-ray there is seemingly nothing wrong with him. He's on some pain meds now, but tonight he's doing it again! I don't know what it could be. He's just sitting in his igloo breathing heavily and squeaking. I'm distraught. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Hun i think carla (Cazamps) had something similar with her rattie, try pming her !
I hope he feels better <3

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I'm not sure, but I hope your baby is okay!! My Husky went through a patch where he completly stopped eating and drinking and he wouldn't move around, he just lay there, but there was nothing actually wrong with him. I managed to get him going again after being with him 24/7 giving him loads of TLC and lovin, maybe just have lots of one to one time with him and try and keep him going. I hope he's okay.
Good luck, I hope you find out more soon!!
xxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Did they look at his lungs with the x-ray for fluids or consolidation? Or just looked for injuries?

Definitely not a respiratory thing? Can you do ratphone and see if you hear anything odd in his lungs?

Or watch him and see if there's anything in particular he does or moves/lies on that makes him squeak, like a sprained foot?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Last night I didn't hear any squeaking and he was much more active. Still on the lookout though.

Lilspaz, the x-rays were for all his insides and his limbs too. The vet even noted that he had some gas in his GI tract and that it could possibly be severe gas pains. He was hiding a lot and sitting all hunched up, not really laying down. When he moved he had his sides sucked in and was obviously uncomfortable. He did not appear to be favoring any of his legs.

I'm hoping it's something minor that he will get over and am happy that he looked so good last night. *fingers crossed*

Maureen

Six new rats
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Yep those are definitely signs of pain (the owwie stretch) usually abdominal. Gas causes bloat and distension of the belly, can you check that carefully?

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

It's been two days now without squeaking. He is still less active than usual, but at least he's not hiding all the time. Physically he looks completely normal.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
It's been two days now without squeaking. He is still less active than usual, but at least he's not hiding all the time. Physically he looks completely normal.
Good to hear!!

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Tags
pain, squeaking