Stressed mouse? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Stressed mouse?

I could use some info..... so if even pointing me out to an existing thread that exists about my topic would be helpful.

We have several mice, 2 males, and several females. Well, my bigger buck was completely picking on the little male so I try to keep them separated; he usually stays with the females since he's never tried to breed with them the year and a half I've had him (my only theory is that his testosterone was stunted because his mother was ill when she had his litter and he was the only survivor, that and Boo would beat him up all of the time).

Well, recently, the females have taken to beating him up very badly, to the point of large wounds in his hind quarters, biting his ears, and along the nape of his neck (I think it's the youngest doe because she's super aggressive when she wants to be). Not to mention his fur is falling out. I'm thinking it's stress. I have him in his own habitat where he seems much happier alone now and his wounds have mostly healed, but he's still loosing fur.

Any ideas? I feel so bad for him and have put in some shredded cloth to help him stay warm at night, but I also wonder why his fur keeps falling out. Could this be residual stress or something else? Has anybody else had a similar experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I'm just really concerned about this little guy because he's my husband's pet mouse and he's really fond of him, of course, were he one of my mice I would try everything I can to heal him, but more so since he's my husband's mouse. (He has MS and when I discovered this little guys mother gave birth while sick and this guy was the only survivor he became attached to him pretty quickly. I was able to move him to another doe with a litter at the time and she took him in while his mother was in isolation getting better). I just feel really badly for him because he's so sweet and still small for his age. I'm just hoping it is the stress and not something more sinister.

He still eats, he still drinks, and he loves the heck out of cooked squash and cauliflower.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am so sorry about your mouse...the poor little guy! Well, the good thing is that he seems happier in his own habitat now that he is not getting picked on by the other mice, so at least that has to help him get some relief from the stress of getting picked on. (what is his name by the way?) but if his fur is still falling out, even though he is now separated from being picked on, that is one I am not sure about. Hopefully you will get some comments from people on the forum who know more about mice than I do. My own experience is only with gerbils and rats. In the meantime, do you have a good small animal vet you can call and ask about the fur falling out? My local small animal/exotic vet's office was always a great source of help with my phone calls when I had a concern.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Oh, sorry, his name is "Help Me!" Yes, my husband named him comically after I picked him up in the habitat he was in as a baby and he pathetically squeaked and while throwing his tiny paws in the air...

He's a tan and brindle mouse with some medium length coat going on. He's so freaking cute!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Mouse Obsessor

Where is the hair falling out? Is it more around his rump area than anywhere else?
Things that can cause hair loss: Boredom, depression, Cushings Disease, OCD, lice, mites, allergies, and in females high estrogen.
As long as you are not sure what it is make sure to keep his cage clean and maybe get him some new toys and stuff to do just to keep his mind off of the hair loss (just in case he is scratching).

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)

Last edited by Aluyasha; 04-08-2011 at 11:07 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Can you post pictures of him? By the way, that is so cute the way he came to be named. If I saw a baby mouse squeaking and waving his little paws up in the air at me, I would adopt him in a second too! He sounds just adorable. Good suggestions from Alyusha and also, can you call your vet about the hair loss?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 AM
It's all for them

Hello and welcome to paw talk! I agree with the poster who suggested a trip to the vet. If you don't know a vet who does small animal work, now is the time to find one.

Please keep us posted on Help Me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Mouse Obsessor

Valdina and Somebody are right. Whatever is causing his hair loss needs vet care. These things rarely resolve themselves alone.

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)

Tags
falling out, fur, mouse, stress?