is this stuff ok - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

is this stuff ok

My bf gets the wall street journal for one of his classes. We get a paper in the mail every day and i was wondering is it ok to use sreaded news paper for litter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Muffin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dutchess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:07 PM
laugh often

I ave no clue but if theres a number to the company you could call them and ask what their ink is made of.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i wouldnt use ragular shedded paper (like printer paper) for hairless rats they can get paper cuts but other than that yea it should be fine...

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I dont have Hairless.

Muffin

Dutchess

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Most paper places use soy based ink which will be okay. You can call the company and ask if it is soy based or it might say somewhere in the paper, like the first page or last page.

Don't be surprised if your fur balls get ink on their little paws though.

*Missy*
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I checked the paper earlier its safe for her I'm not too worried about ink. I was just wondering if its ok to soak up urin and stuff like that.
I give her a bath every month bc sometimes shes stinky! But she loves the baths some times she doesnt want out of the water bc she wants to play in it! haha

Muffin

Dutchess

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wow, you're lucky she likes it! Last time I gave my boys a bath they figured out they could jump out of the tub, which made for a difficult bathing experience on both our parts. I ended up totally soaked!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Haha That sux! Well the first time I gave her A bath she learned how to FLY she jumped out of the kitchen sink! I freaked out I thought she hurt her self but... I got a hold of her and held her in my hands and gave her a bath that way ever since then everytime I turn on the water you can here her jumping around in her cage its funny!

Muffin

Dutchess

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, like everyone said, the only thing to really watch out for is the ink. Most inks are non toxic, but it is better safe than sorry, so calling or finding out what kind of ink they use is a good idea. Be prepared to have a black-footed rat!

I never had to give my first rat Raven a bath. For some reason, she always smelt like grape bubble gum. It was the weirdest thing.
I think I might have to give my girls baths though. I am sure they will smell since they are always marking each other. Not smell yet though. -Crosses fingers-
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

i think it should be fine, you might want to try not to use pages that have big pictures or advertisements tho, when allie was a puppie it seemed like she always peed or spilled her water on the spots with the most ink, and then shed fall in it or lay on it and we would come home to a blue or black puppy

My Furry Family
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

What no one has mentioned is newspaper has no odour controlling properties and reeks quite quickly. Just be prepared.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68
What no one has mentioned is newspaper has no odour controlling properties and reeks quite quickly. Just be prepared.
I never used newspaper but I was thinking about that. I thought that it might smell quicker and have to be changed more often. But I didn't want to say what I was sure on.
(Just seems like it wouldn't work too well, at least it doesn't for cats. When my cats were de-clawed my mom had to fill the littler box with shredded plain printer paper. It sucked. You had to clean it every time they went to the bathroom because it stunk and was messy. It definitely did not work as well as clumping kitty litter. I think shavings work very well. I can't use the paper fluff stuff and the recycled paper because it gives me a rash. I do not think the pellets would work well unless they were litter box trained. So I'd have to use shavings even if I didn't like them.)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks everyone!

Muffin

Dutchess

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

When my rats weren't litter trained I used newspaper on the bottom of the cage so it was easier to clean then their bedding& litter on top of that.Rats are really easy to littertrain though.One of mine taught theirself,the other caught on not too long after ! Then it's just cleaning litterboxes pretty much& washing fleece as you would wash your blankets

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

lilspaz I was just about to say that.

You could probably use it with something else to help soak up pees and keep the cage dry.

*Missy*

Tags
box trained, female rat, female rats, hairless rat, hairless rats, kitty litter, litter box, litter box trained, litter train, litter trained, male rat, male rats