Suggestions? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 05:26 AM
Catma63

Suggestions?

For the ones out there who have been rattie owners longer than I have......what age do you recommend baby ratties be before they go to their new homes. My l'il babies are growing fast...they were born on the 20th and the people who have claimed a couple each are anxious to get theirs. So, how old? They're already eating but they are still nursing here and there. Any suggestions?
Thanks, y'all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 09:51 AM
Catma63

Thanks! I've been told so many different things. Last I was told was six weeks. I wouldn't have thought they would be sexually mature at 4 weeks, though. Are you sure about that? I thought around 3 to 4 monthes of age from what I've learned off of rattie websites. The only thing I hadn't been able to find about ratties was how old they needed to be to leave mom. Thanks again!

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 09:58 AM
Alena

Catma,
I don't know much about ratties, but I know that doing your research on the web should not be a substitute for a good book.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 10:06 AM
Catma63

And you are right! Did I somehow lead you to believe that the web was my only source? Nooooo, not only do I find info from the web, but yes, from books, too and from human sources.....fellow rattie owners. I am thoroughly appreciative of the advice given, trust me. I am also a responsible rattie owner......heck, I'm a responsible pet owner. If I didn't take my darlings seriously, I wouldn't be here on this board sharing, asking,what have you......right? Thanks much, y'all!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 10:47 AM
Alena

oh, i hope what i said did not offend you!!!
i did not mean to do that.
it's sometimes difficult to express the right emotions....

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 10:55 AM
Catma63

Ohhhhh, noooo Alena! You didn't offend me. I was just concerned that,by leaving out too much information, I may have led you and everyone else to believe that I'm not responsible....I didn't mean my post to sound defensive. I so appreciate the time you took to make sure I was not offended; that was SOOO nice, but don't worry! Haha! And thanks again!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 11:09 AM
Alena

:hershey:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 01:50 AM
ChinTopia

Im not a rattie person, but as a general rule of thumb, kits should not go to new homes till they are 6 - 8 weeks of age in case of complications and such, but then ratties could be different

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 11:32 AM
Catma63

My last three babies went to their new mommies today. I delivered them to a woman in the next state over and she was thrilled. I have kept one of the boys,the lone berkshire like his dad, and two girls, one is marked like her mother and the other is a beige hoodie. Now, to choose names for them. My two adults are named Gen(the mom) and Akira (pops)....so I am searching for japanese or ninja names for the babies. Haha.
Thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 11:34 AM
Catma63

OMG! I see I have a new line under my name!! Absolutely Positively Tickled Pink! HAHA. I LOVE IT!! Thanks!! Haha

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 11:43 AM
Catma63

Oh, it really was!! The last week and a half have been hard. That's when they started getting picked up. I wanted to be an overly picky placer....you just never know when the person out there inquiring has a snake, you know, and I really want my grandchildren to continue their lives being loved and tended. They'd only known handling since birth and I worried that someone would get them and just let them "exist" and what kind of life is that? However, all of the new parents seemed as ready to love as I was when I first brought Gen and Akira home. I did manage to get more pictures taken to remember the children by. Now, only these last three and their parents but to be sure, they'll get plenty of attention.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Catma63

That's exactly what I told them. For whatever reason, no matter what...if they decided it was just not for them or their circumstances changed or whatever, to please return the ratties to me and they all agreed. This is after they chuckled and assured me not to worry, they wouldn't want to give them up now. I feel very pleased with the homes found. All of their humans appeared to be very loving people who knew what they were getting into and were ready. Not that ratties are hard to keep....on the contrary....they're some of the easiest pets I've ever had. I will always have a rattie (or two, or threee, or four...or...) now. :-)

Tags
pet owner, responsible pet owner