Suggestions for Dry Bathing our Rattie boys? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Suggestions for Dry Bathing our Rattie boys?

Hello all!
Quick question on bathing....my two boys Klausse and Wolfgang look like they need a bath. We have had them for a few months and most of the time they stay nice and clean themselves of course but yesterday when I was doing my twice a week cage cleaning I noticed they had spent quite a bit of time snoozing in a pillowcase tent I had made for them, but they had peed all over it and boy, do my little guys smell funky now! Their bedding and towels and cage are spotless again, like usual and they have all fresh towels but that funky smell has remained on my boys. I DID buy some gentle baby shampoo for them when we first adopted them but now that the time has come for a bath, I am a bit hesitant about the whole wet rattie washing thing that I know they will hate (I noticed the few times that I tried fishing for peas with them that they did NOT like putting their paws in the water, so I guess they are dry land babies eh?) so I was wondering if any of you have ever tried a safe alternative to wet bathing, such as talcum powder or cornstarch or something similar for their fur? Drs. Foster and Smith pet company makes a dry shampoo but it is scented with melon and raspberry scent and I am leary of using any scented type dry dust bath type items, unless it is okay to use? I still have some chinchilla dust left over from when my hubby and I had our gerbils but that's it. Any ideas for dry cleaning our babies? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Hi hun.....i know exactly what you're talking about with the whole peed on pillowcase thing lol mine do exactly the same thing! When i bath my babies i squirt a bit of their rat shampoo in the bath and add some water and then let them go swimming!! they love to swim so have fun whilst getting clean and then when they get out all i do is rub them down with a dry towel and spray them with their ratty deodarant then another quick rub down with the towel and that's it they smell beautiful!! They dry really quickyl on their own and because they are in a nice warm house and have loads of blankets and stuff in their cage they are perfectly fine for drying and keeping warm but i guess you could try a hairdryer on low heat???

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I just realised you wanted dry bathing advice lol sorry hun it's been a long morning already!! I have no idea about dry bathing coz all my rats are used to water....i'm sure your boys would be fine in the water if it was warm and not very deep??! xx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thank you so much for the advice! Yes, they probably would not dislike the water as much as I fear, you are right. I also got a reply from another forum where the woman said she uses unscented baby wipes for her ratties for quick clean ups. Also a good idea!
Thanks again for your reply and I may try them with a nice shallow warm water bath.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

try not to use a blowdryer, it's not worth the risk of burning their skin! towels work fine
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I often use a damp cloth to wipe their fur...usually they will groom themselves to get the "nasty wet" off

There are products called Waterless Bath that I found at my vet's clinic but honestly baby wipes or a damp cloth seems to work well

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Super advice, thanks so much! Unscented baby wipes and a damp cloth seem to be excellent ideas if the babies end up needing a quick wipe. But you are right, they normally groom themselves so much I know that more than likely they will take care of that smell themselves.