suggestions plz! pregnant hairless rat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy suggestions plz! pregnant hairless rat

Ok I have a female hairless rat that I bred with another hairless rat. I'm sure anyone that knows about hairless rats is now frowning as you propabley know what I've just learned in the past week or 2 researching them...
I know there is a HUGE possibility that she'll either eat the babies or not lactate.
What I need to know is what I can use to feed the babies with to keep them alive.I read I can use puppy milk but I dont know what to put it in for them to nurse from. Carrie ( the pregant rat) is due thursday the 29th. So I need to get the supplies asap if I am to save these babies...
Any advice will be appreciated greatley, thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:22 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I can't help you but there a couple of hairless rat owners here...in the mean time why don't you start researching sites on the web and see what you can find out there! you could also ring a vet that deals with hairless rats and see what they suggest too!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
I can't help you but there a couple of hairless rat owners here...in the mean time why don't you start researching sites on the web and see what you can find out there! you could also ring a vet that deals with hairless rats and see what they suggest too!
Good idea I hadn"t thought of that, I'll call my local exotics vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Glad I could help you!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0ongie
Ok I have a female hairless rat that I bred with another hairless rat. I'm sure anyone that knows about hairless rats is now frowning as you propabley know what I've just learned in the past week or 2 researching them...
I know there is a HUGE possibility that she'll either eat the babies or not lactate.
What I need to know is what I can use to feed the babies with to keep them alive.I read I can use puppy milk but I dont know what to put it in for them to nurse from. Carrie ( the pregant rat) is due thursday the 29th. So I need to get the supplies asap if I am to save these babies...
Any advice will be appreciated greatley, thanks!!!
i hope your new baby ratties are ok. hairless rats are good mommies. my 2 females never had a problem lactating but they do tend to eat the babies that are suckleling the most. dont be alarmed this will happen for about 2-7 weeks after birth. but if you feel the babies are not getting enough milk baby formula like similac or isomil works wonders. just check the babies bellies and if they're white in color they should be fine. as for momma rat give her some formula also to help her maintain her strength and ability to keep producing milk. good luck with babies.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Romping Ratties

KMR is a great food for young pups and so is soy baby formula. Nothing else should be used. Do not use puppy formula either! I have had to raise quite a few young pups in my time, as well as hamster pups.

And most of the time, hairless DO NOT make good mothers. However, there are exceptions. The does will sometimes eat babies if they are not producing enough milk, but this can easily be avoided. If they have milk bands in the tummy they are getting plenty of milk. If you do not see a milk band for more than an hour I would step in and start feeding the babies yourselfs, and take them away from mother so you don't risk losing them. If you have another doe who is lactating you can put them in with her as well. Rats make great serogate mothers, and usually take in babies with no problems at all. I usually make up about two tablespoons of formula and soak a q-tip in that, then just drop a little bit on their mouth and they should lick it up. Once there is a visible milk band start on another baby. Make sure to keep them warm too! You don't want to use a human heating pad as that can get too hot, so what I do is use a Tupperware container and line the bottom with hot water bottles, and then lay a thick baby blanket over that, and that should keep them warm for about an hour and a half. I also cover them up as well with a thin baby blakket, one that allows air flow.

5hairlessratties, at 3 to four weeks the babies will be starting to wean, and if the mother eats any she should be taken out immediately! This is NOT a good motherly attitude towards young, and any rat who cannot lactate or feed their young should not be bred again. If anyone wants to breed hairless I suggest looking for a good breeder who has established lactating lines.

But before you get worried, are you sure your rats are true hairless, and not double rex, or mock hairless? True hairless is a recessive gene, so mating a hairless to a furred rat would have all furred babies unless the dad carried hairless. If both parents are true hairless, all babies would be hairless. If they are both double rex, then you should have both double rex and possibly plain rex. If it's hairless to mock hairless breeding, you will get all double rex babies who carry the hairless gene, but may have a few true hairless is one of the parents carries.

Continue in another post so I don't lose this one........

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Romping Ratties

Anywho, true hairless can be distinguised from mock hairless or double rex by comparing the amount of fur on the animal as well as the curl, or lack thereof of whiskers. True hairless have a very small amount of fuzz, with tightly curled whiskers on the face, with the fuzz being on the muzzle and feet/butt area. Double rex will lose their coat at about three weeks, stay bald for a little while and then it will grow back in in patches. Some hairless have more fuzz and are just bad hairless though. Here is a picture of my Wrinkles, who is a true hairless. Also I forgot to mention that curl of the double rexes whiskers will be not as short, and their whiskers will be longer than that of a true hairless. Notice the short, tightly curled whiskers on my Wrinkles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oncouch.jpg (51.6 KB, 17 views)

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Romping Ratties

Here are two pictures that clearly show the milk bands in rat pups. This was my last litter. If you do not see the milk bands, you have a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babiesinhand.jpg (51.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (47.4 KB, 21 views)

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Romping Ratties

I just noticed that this was posted last month, which means the babies should be about three weeks old now and just beginning to wean. Do you mind dropping in and giving us all an update?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

OMG, look at all those full little bellies! Those are cute pics RR!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Romping Ratties

Thanks!

If you want to see more pics or learn more about rat pup developement please visit my growth page at:

http://www15.brinkster.com/luckies4me/babies.html

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

I agree with what Romping Ratties said. OMG I just realized I called her Luckies in another post, opps. I sure would love to hear what happened with the little ones.
Marianne

and I can vouch that there are good hairless mommies as I have one, and have had others as well, that I adopted from a rattery in Idaho with great lactating lines.

Tags
hairless rat, hairless rats, heating pad