Suggestions to relieve nasal congestion? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Suggestions to relieve nasal congestion?

Just wondering what suggestions you all might have to relieve nasal congestion in Russell? He is on Baytril and doxy (three full days now, on a six-week course), but he is a little squeaky/congested in his nasal passages (more noise coming from the nose itself than from his lungs), so I'd like to know what can be done to alleviate his nasal congestion? The problem seems to be that his nose itself is blocked, but since he can't blow his nose (the way we do), he can't help himself.

I tried taking him in the bathroom with the shower running for about 20 minutes today, but he got somewhat stressed out by that, and I didn't notice any improvement in his congestion.

Any suggestions appreciated! He's still as happy and bouncy as ever, but he obviously doesn't like being congested, and I'd like to try to help get his nasal passages cleared up asap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

perhaps a tiny piece of chocolate?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Breyer,
That is a good question and I am racking my brain trying to think of what might help. I guess the children's Benadryl does not really help with the stuffed up nose? I know it helps Russell (and my boys) with the sneezing but I don't know if it helps with stuffy noses. I remember on your other post you said that you gave Russell a chocolate chip. Did that help with his nose or no?

Also, can you give a quick call to Russell's vet to ask what suggestions she/he has for a stuffy nose? I would love to know as well, in case Klausse or Wolfie ever get that.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Oh that sucks royally, I had a post up here this morning on this, all nice and explanation-y, and I guess I didn't hit Submit Reply

back to the chocolate. You only give dark dark chocolate in times of respiratory distress, as the theobromine in the dark chocolate acts as a bronchodilator. Its just for short-term relief though.

OK so he is on abs, and steaming isn't helping. You could try dosing him with a children's decongestant.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks guys! Lilspaz--I did read on a British forum that some have used Children's liquid Sudafed (the syrup kind) at 1 mL/500g of rat. Could I do this in combination with his ABs? The good news is that today he doesn't seem anywhere near as loud as he was yesterday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this continues, but you never know...and I'd like to be prepared for the next time he has breathing problems.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Tags
nasal congestion