summer time with rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

summer time with rats

i know rats are prone to respitory infections and i have always done all i can to keep them from getting them. my question is would it be okay to open some windows in my room when it gets hot? (my rats are in my room) i just moved in with my boyfriend and we are trying to be cheap on the bills and probably will not have the AC on alot. so we were going to open windows. we have a basement house so it will not be too hot anyway. the rats are in a corner and there are not any windows faceing the cage, so i dont think they will catch a draft. what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Naked Dog Mom

As long as they aren't directly in front of the window and there isn't a HUGE breeze that is blowing dust and stuff around the room, they should be fine. I had windows open in the winter in the same room the rat was in (our apt complex had a lot of older people, so they kept the heat super high, and we had no way to control it ourselves. I think I was the only person in PA that opened windows in January, but oh well)

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 07:38 AM
Adolescent Pup

My rats love it when we open the windows! Just make sure they are out of direct sun light and that if it gets chilly or damp in the evenings that they aren't getting a draft. Other than that they will most likely welcome the breeze. If they get too overheated you can freeze some water bottles and put them in the cage. They will enjoy laying up next to them to cool off.

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

thanks. i think that i may worry too much about my babies getting sick. i have not had good luck with my past rats.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with what everyone else has said as long as they aren't in a draft or in direct sunlight they will be fine with the windows open as they will appreciate the cool fresh air as much as you will

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

it's fine.. probably better because you're airing out the place anyway. I'd be more worried about dust and mold in the house than outside it.

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!