Sundae is still sneezing... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Question Sundae is still sneezing...

I changed the bedding to Carefresh and Sundae is still sneezing quite a bit, though not as much as before. I haven't seen any discharge and she eats and plays a lot. What do you guys think? Is it time for a vet trip or should I wait longer? Peaches sneezes often too, but not as much as Sundae. What do you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I think you should just see how it plays out. They are still fairly new to your house so they're still adjusting. Unless you see discharge or something, I'd just keep a close eye on them. I hope they feel better soon!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

I hope they get well soon Steph.. Have you thought about other allergies?

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Were you using aspen before? Mine were very sneezy with the Carefresh, but got much better when I switched to aspen. I would wait a day or two and see if they improve, if not then you probably would want to go to the vet. A little baytril should be able to help them improve.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSouthPaw
Were you using aspen before? Mine were very sneezy with the Carefresh, but got much better when I switched to aspen. I would wait a day or two and see if they improve, if not then you probably would want to go to the vet. A little baytril should be able to help them improve.
I was using Aspen and switched to Carefresh because Sundae had Carefresh before. She has improved since I switched to Carefresh and sneezes A LOT less. But she still sneezes. I'll wait a few more days like you said. How do you use baytril safely? I know that stuff knocks me out!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You've taken Baytril before? You sure you don't mean Benadryl? Baytril is a veterinary only antibiotic.

Stephanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
You've taken Baytril before? You sure you don't mean Benadryl? Baytril is a veterinary only antibiotic.
Can you tell I need sleep?

Yep I meant Benadryl. I haven't taken baytril, I've used it for my rabbits.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 12:41 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I think you should wait it out steph...I know he is a cat but Milko sneezed a bit over the first week we had him, but no discharge. I think he was getting used to the pollens in the place, and he doesn't sneeze anymore and has been health checked with no worries!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:17 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd give it another week and if they are both still sneezing then i think you should take them to see a vet as could be a respiratory disorder which might need antibiotics to sort it out or an allergy to something else such as the bedding still. I have to say personally I'm wary of sneezy rats as i had to take one of mine to the vets once and it was a respiratory disease it had caught from a new rat i had gotten and it had passed it on to my others luckily a course of antibiotics later and every one was fine but could have been so much worse as read up on it afterwards and if left it can kill them but thats the worse case scenario!

Hope the girlies are feeling a lot better soon and keep us posted

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide