Super Mean Mouse..plz Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Super Mean Mouse..plz Help

I have a a PE white mouse that ended up as a suprise pregnant mouse so I put her in a cage with a nanny. She started beating her nanny up so I removd the nanny. Well it turns out that the mouse ate all her babies. So I decided to put her back in with my community tank. Everything was going bad she kept attacking this one mouseand then all of a sudden so did a few more. I took out all the bullies and put vanilla on their nose and bottoms. That didn't work. So I put vanilla on everyone didn't work. So I seperated all the bullies. They all stopped being mean to the one mouse except my PE white. I took her out and put her in an isolation cage for a day then tried again. Didn't work. So I tried 3 days didn't work. Now she's so mean to everyone in the tank with her except the highest alpha. I don't know what to do. I don't want her to be like this. Her sister is still sweet as can be. Does anyone know any other methods or will she have to live in isolation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Sorry I have never seen that happen
before& I had way over 30 mice at one point

I don't think it was such a great idea to just put her in the cage
with another mouse though..since they would have needed to be introduced out of the other's teritory first!!
On mutual grounds.& it sounded like
you just took one mouse& put it in the other's cage
(sorry if I got that wrong).
That may have ended in a death :/

Have you tried completely cleaning out the cage& just re-introducing mice?

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

I clean the cage with an alcohol water mix and then a dish detergent everytime I introduce them. Brand new toys were in the cage everytime I introduced them. I always introduce mice and rats in my bath tub. Everytime I make an intro. I clean and replace everything then I add the animals.I have succeded in males from the same litter living together. I never had this problem before either and I have a good amount of them.

1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:12 AM

Hmm...I have no idea what to suggest.
Maybe that mouse has a mean streak thats just starting to show now?
I know people can change for the worse [have yet to meet someone who changed for the better!] ...maybe that can happen to animals as well?

I'm really at a loss too.
Hopefully someone can suggest something that
will work...my fingers are crossed for you

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

I have one stretched idea that maybe with her eating the babies sparked a canniblistic behavior in her. Her genetic background is unknown. I have read a few websites saying that when their mice would be cannibalistic once they were forever changed. I don't know if this couuld be that or not.I hope not but I dont know. The only mice she will not hurt is the alpha of her.

1 Cat- Luna
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:35 AM

Hmm,I never thought of that
theory,but I can see it being possible =/

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i've had a mouse back in the day, but she was solo. all i can think to recommend is housing her alone, then eventually introducing her to one cagemate at a time. i don't know what else to suggest. best wishes though! *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Maybe you could try the split-cage method?

But it sounds like she might have to live alone . If she does have to live alone I would keep her next to the others so she can at least see them.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

maybe she doesnt feel well. sence she ate her babies there was probably something wrong with them or her. and not just that she decided to eat her babies... same with the other mice.. maybe she is ill and is fighting back

i would keep her away from the others... maybe it's time for a vet check

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 PM

^^^ Maybe,another good suggestion

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I'll check out a vet. I called them but they told me should be ok. She was a very young mommy though. Like the people left the boys in the tank too long after birth. So I decided to try my best to keep her healthy and alive throughout the pregnancy. I put her in another mouse cage with bigger mice and none of them are fighting at the moment. It's been 1 day and not a single squeak. They are under heavy observation by my boyfriend and me .But I am still open to suggestions incase they fall out.

1 Cat- Luna
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 12:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have owned dozens and dozens of mice and never had a very aggressive female like that.Males on the other hand...a different story! Anyway you can keep trying,neutral ground remember and keep the cages close together.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

yeah I don't know what it could be she's still sweet to me after I catch her. Hopefully she won't try to beat up her new cages mates. This is my last hope being I don't have anymore female cages except the isolation cage. But either way maybe the vet can recommend something to me tomorrow.

1 Cat- Luna
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Well my girl is now living my community cage peacefully! She's no longer trying to beat them up.YAY

1 Cat- Luna
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yay congrats!!! *dances*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan