Photos! Surprise!!... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Surprise!!...

Super Super special thanks to everyone on here who has been helping me out recently!! I really appreciate it!

Today I found a cage that is very big and I got it from somebody for only $40! What a deal! Then I brought it home and cleaned it really good and went to the pet store and bought some bedding and food and toys and fun things. Most of you probably already have this figured out by now *wink* Then of course I looked at the hamsters and mice and guinea pigs for sale. They were all so cute, but I didn't come home with any of those. Yet I now have 6 pets (:

They are both fairly young (probably a few months) So cute and small and funny and entertaining to watch. They are both black hoodeds! Yes I got my very first rats!! One I am sharing with my brother and she has a black tail and no name yet...mine has a white tail and her name is Marlie. I am planning on litter training them and everything...blah blah blah. Here are some pictures! Its just a sneak peak until they are a bit more settled, but enjoy my new additions!

Here is the cage

No name girl

No name girl

My brothers rat

My CUTIE Marlie!!!!

Marlie

My brother and his ratty

I promise I will get more later!!

A few questions--

How long should I let them settle before handling them? They are really scared and my little brother was poking his finger through the cage and got bit...any suggestions what to do about that? I am positive that they were just scared and it is not their fault but how long should I let them settle? Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Last edited by CrWoodyspets; 10-19-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Hello Earthling

I KNEW IT!!!! Congrats!!!!!

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Adolescent Pup

Aww haha your bro looke well happy, congrats

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

*Looks ^

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 AM

great job! I used to have that exact cage for my three small hairless girls
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yay!!! I'm so excited for you! (And the cage looks great, by the way!)

I'd let them settle in their cage and get used to their new surroundings for about a day. Also, it's a good idea to tell your brother and everyone else not to get into the habit of sticking fingers (or anything else--including food!) through the cage bars, because this can entice them and might lead to nipping and/or biting.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Congrats to you! Welcome to the wonderful world of rats!

Yes you should let them settle in, they are probably very scared. It's ok to stick your fingers in once they get to know you, but it's only a good idea if you never feed them through the cage bars. If you do feed them through the bars then you can expect them to nip at you when you stick your fingers in. I always just open the door to feed mine and they never nip me when I stick my fingers in to say hi. They are smart, they will learn the difference.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 AM
RAT ADDICT

CongRATS! I am so excited for you.You definatly won't be disappointed with rats! They are cuties by the way.

I agree with the others.They need a day or so to get used to their new surroundings.I know it is tempting to handle them now,but they are stressed.
Good luck with them and I look forward to hearing more about them.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie28 View Post
Aww haha your bro looke well happy, congrats
Oh yes he is! Its HIS first pet since our hamster passed. She was technically his.

Thanks everyone! I will let them settle for awhile more

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

YAY!!!!
i'm so happy for you! and girls!!! such cutiiiiies!!!
I think you should let them get used to all the new smells for a day or 2 and then start gently getting them used to you bathtub and big sweater method!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Before I even read the thread I seen SUPRIZE and I figered it was that you finally got them. You will not be disapointed in them. But they are addicting. I ushally place my hand in the cage while they get settled here and there and let them aproch me and smell my hand to know that its ok that my hand is in there and that I will be getting in their cage. I do this 2 or 3 times a day for about 10 to 15 mins while they settle. also giving them treats while doing this helps them see you are friend not fow and builds the bond quiker. Also let them get us to other family memeber by doing this and intor all things a a stedy calm pase. Since they didnt grow up around you and other things like proably a TV or loud music they will be a little skidish. Also their 1st couple of times out of the cage will be a little skidish as well.
You can also have a blanket that is just thiers or take something from their cage that when out if they feel scared they can hide in so this way they are comfeterabl inside the cage as well as out. Eventually they will not need what I call thier sucurity blanket and ride on your shoulder or be right on your heals every were you go. I never stick my fingers threw the bars at all. I have never feed them threw the bars but some of the ones that I have are rescues and were. But I make a habbit to not do it so that way I never do get bite but this way they know not to exspect anything threw the cage bars. Some rats that never been feed threw the cage some times still I think its instink. BUt this way if I am closer to the cage and or I and leaning on it they leave my shirt alone and dont try to pull it in or nip me and if they do its gental play. My females seem more interested in doing this as in pull my shirt threw or grab threw the cage were my males are more like rub my belly scartch me butt. and just lay their and look at me.
The bath tub and sweater thing is very graeat as well and effective. Also its a great place for free range time play.
Diamond
PS cant wait for more pics. Did you names your rat after the movie Marlie and me? I love that movie. I had a black lab like that and that move made me cry. let us know what you name the other one.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have the exact same cage. and I only paid $35 for mine!! thats so cool we have the same cage.

Marley is very cute.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.

Last edited by bbradley08; 10-19-2009 at 05:06 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Update- No name girly is now named Lola! Whoopee! Also they have been sneezing a bit, is that normal?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 05:43 PM

A little bit of sneezing is fine; they're in a new environment, new smells, new stresses. They'll prolly stop sneezing after...a week? Depends on the ratty. As long as they're eating and no poryphin, they're just acclimating.

CONGRATS, by the way!! About time, haha!! I'm happy for you CrWoody, you've been so patient!

Enjoy your cutiepies !
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

A little bit of sneezing is normal for new rats.
As long as it does not get excessive,it should be fine.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *